Spaced Out Feedback

Hi,

I've played ONI for 1100 hours - so I obviously love the base game - and I've also given positive feedback on Steam.  However, 99% of that was with some critical mods I never play without.  Reviewing the list below, there's actually very little in the DLC that I consider worth playing.  I'm just about to mark this DLC negative, but I know it's in progress, so I haven't reviewed it yet.  The list here is admittedly short on positives, but you can assume if it's not listed, I'm good with it.

Pros:

1. Meteors No More:  Or at least very infrequent - I haven't noticed any yet.  News flash - space is COLD.  I hate meteors and more specifically the 'mechanics' around the zero kelvin vacuum of space that doesn't actually entropy heat away but endlessly rains down super hot mass from the same vacuum thus transferring this super heat along all power lines literally destroying everything with very little means to actually deal with it.  The bitter irony is that you need all that stuff from space to be able to deal with space... completely sadistic.  I never played the original with meteors (thanks mods) and never will in the DLC.  Period.

Cons:

1. Airlocks:  Please make airlocks lock air.  Please also make it so we can use high insulation materials to build them.  It will limit heat movement without the vacuum in between two 'airlocks' which of course doesn't work in vanilla because airlocks don't lock air.  And I refuse to make one of those space hungry, dupe-wetting, temperature sensitive, troublesome liquid locks.
  2. Pipe Input:  Please, please, please make a pipe input so pumps can be placed anywhere.  Or rename the pipe output and make it work both ways.
  3. Rockets:  Never used - never will.  I honestly didn't think it was possible to make rockets less fun but here we are.  I never played rockets in the base game without completely cheating them in just to see what they did and how they worked.  The mechanics are utterly annoying.  They're worse now - counterintuitive, completely undocumented, some of the modules seem semi-redundant?, the engines actually make way less sense now - Carbon Dioxide and Sugar (who comes up with this)? - but Carbon Dioxide being the only renewable source has way less thrust to it???  They were supposed to be easier and earlier?  I have to build dupe survivorship inside that teeny space?  WTF???  Please make it so we don't have to build ladders up to them.  I kept thinking I'd get to them, but game after game, it's the same thing - they just aren't fun or worth it and I start over instead of play 'end game'.
  4. Slug Plugs:  Never used - never will.  Take way too much early game metal and give off hydrogen???.  By the time you research solar panels (thanks free POI glass), they're obsolete and definitely not worth the maintenance.
  5. Oxygen Masks:  Never used - never will.  Takes 40kg metal each use, and the unit can suck itself into a vacuum, overheats, and damages to death.  The dupes drop the masks everywhere.  When you need them, which isn't much, at least atmosuits don't take metal each use - the oxygen lasts way longer - they insulate - the buildings don't overheat - and have controllable pipes instead of free proximity-based oxygen consumption which sucks literally and figuratively.
  6. Prebuilt Points of Interest:  Never used - never will.  I hate the feeling that my survivorship game on a random asteroid has stuff premade.  I always delete these out completely.  It's even worse now with these transfer things (which crash if you delete them) and other premade rooms on the tiny asteroids.  Please make them buildable so we can locate them where we want and feel free to make them expensive. 
  7. Sulfur Based Plant Food:  Never used - never will.  So much other food is easier and better quality.
  8. Medical Stuff:  Never used - never will.  Unless you make germs impactful again, which I would actually like.
  9. Asteroid Size:  If it comes to performance over volume, leave them small, but I actually prefer the base game to DLC if that's the case.
  10. Dupe Priorities:  Please, please, please make a setting where dupes order their tasks based on task proximity.  Nothing makes me curse Klei into the ground like watching a dupe run all the way up my surface ladder to mine one unit out, then run all the way back to the lower bottom corner to pick up polluted dirt to deliver to a composter, then run all the way back up with building material to build the square just dug, just get to the square then to drop the material and go to bed.  Then to add insult to injury, we get the 'long commutes' notification which someone actually made a mod to get rid of!  I've tried to increase priorities to control their behavior but then other tasks get completely ignored - unless you have one dupe for each thing, which isn't practical early on.  I never really play with more than 6 dupes total - usually 4.
  11. Hydrogen:  Since when do plants or animals give off Hydrogen????  If I have to use water to make oxygen, which I only do as a last resort, I usually have solar panels, a bunch of hatches making tons of coal, and I actually generate too much hydrogen and vent it to space since it's no longer a critical fuel.  I'm guessing that will change later in the DLC though. This is another reason I don't use Plug Slugs and the new Saturn plant.  Love the concept of the Saturn plant - so don't get rid of it - but it takes too long, I don't need un-piped hydrogen floating around, and I actually get plenty of meat from my other animal farms. 
  12. Piped Inputs/Outputs:  Please put piped inputs/outputs on everything!
  13. Research Notification:  Please make an option to shut off the annoying research notifications in the build menu icons.

I'm actually meh about the DLC so far - I'm just hoping better systems come into play as it evolves.  Don't stop adding stuff though!  Please.  ;-)

On 12/21/2020 at 6:22 PM, rookhaven said:

The bitter irony is that you need all that stuff from space to be able to deal with space...

Uh what? Steel is completely possible to mass produce before space, and in fact you are intended to use steel for space. Meteors drop at just over 300c, which is not hot at all. If you need space materials to deal with space, you are going down the wrong hole.

Please make airlocks lock air

That would break so many things which rely on the fact that you can automate gas/liquid flow, or pushing gases.

And I refuse to make one of those space hungry, dupe-wetting, temperature sensitive, troublesome liquid locks.

Liquid stack water locks are just a few tiles larger than an airlock at most. There are liquid lock designs that make dupes leap through the liquid and thus inflict no debuff. There's no reasonable use case that a petroleum lock, ethanol lock or a super coolant lock can't solve. I don't get how they are troublesome. They won't randomly leak.

make a setting where dupes order their tasks based on task proximity. 

There's literally a setting to toggle proximity, which was added since when priority was added ? That would make distance the tiebreaker for jobs that have the same dupe priority and priority number, instead of a hidden priority. If you are complaining they are running everywhere because you set priority 9 everywhere, then it's user error and nothing related to the game.

t:  Please, please, please make a pipe input so pumps can be placed anywhere.

I'm not sure what do you mean here. Do you mean being able to choose where the pipe input/output is placed?

On 12/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, rookhaven said:

Meteors No More

bad news is they are likely coming back. They disabled them for now so they can test the new stuff easier. They might be only for some planetoids though.

Rockets:  Never used - never will. 

Then the dlc is not for you. They made it clear that the dlc is about multiple planetoids and trevelling between them via rockets. Good new is that they are working on improving them. Sugar and CO2 is meant as easily available for really early rocketry, without the need for steel and advanced fuels.

Slug Plugs:  Never used - never will.

They need some balancing and a souce of renewable ore is needed as well. But no need to hate on the guys. Keeping them wild works as an auxillary power source for earlygame. Seems like they want new sources of hydrogen too. In vanilla it washard to keep up with the hydrogen production for hydrogen engines. Now with the new stuff it might be easier.

Oxygen Masks:  Never used - never will

You should probably check out last weeks patch. They made them work more like atmo suits.

Prebuilt Points of Interest:  Never used - never will.

What`s wrong with a teleporter allowing you to skip rocket travel that you already hate? I agree that you should be able to build them though or reposition but i don`t understand the hate for every prebuild item.

Sulfur Based Plant Food:  Never used - never will

It is renewable with the sulfur geyser that should be a guaranteed one on the second planetoid. Also grubgrubs change it into a better variant that can later be used in a high tier recipie with sleet wheat and bristle berries.

Medical Stuff:  Never used - never will.

Hoping for some tweaks on diseases as well. It`s rumored we weill get radiation diseases which might make medicine viable again.

Dupe Priorities:  Please, please, please make a setting where dupes order their tasks based on task proximity. 

Well there is a setting for that. Cliking the button in the corner of the priorities screen allows you to "enable proximity" which does just that.

I'm actually meh about the DLC so far

I think you won`t like the directing it is going for now based on your expectations. Good news is that the devs plan to enable single planetoid play in the dlc at some point so you might get the vanilla experience with new infrastructure eventually. My advice is you stick to the base game for now.

Archived