Resouce cannons - transplanetary delivery system.

I know we got rockets to do deliveries but at the moment it seems it can`t be automated and a lot of stuff can go wrong if you don`t watch them. So my idea is a giant cannon that you build at the surface of your asteroid, then load it with sulfur, refined carbon and fertilizer and put a small batch of a selected resource inside which will get launched to a nearby asteroid and crash on it like a meteor in a random location on the surface.

This would simplify shipping stuff to other worlds and constantly dropping resource packs would give you a reason to protect your solar panels with bunker doors. You could even automate it so the resources arrive during the night. The range would be limited and the resource pods should take longer than rockets to arrive as they don`t have their own propulsion. The cannon would also require a dupe to aim it each time and would produce a lot of carbon dioxide.

The rockets can be automated with current bugs/features

Spoiler

Connect the out/in logic at the rocket pad (the same way it was in the vanilla game but at the rocket cone). When conditions are met the rocket will take off automatically.

Loading/unloading of cargo work automatically (unless one uses storage bins inside the habitat but this one is probably cheat).

The only one thing left is to manage the pilot sustainability. If you increase the size of the rocket pod by breaking walls (this one is bug but I like it), you can have self-sustainable habitat (at least for the very long run of 500 cycles) - fish, morbs. There are already designs to do it without the bug just using the confined space available.

I agree with you, it will be good to be able to create other than the rocketry connection between planets - teleportation device works only for one couple. If it can be build on other planets....too easy then.

6 hours ago, Brachypelmax said:

If I may, you should have a look in the ingame encyclopedia for the structures. You may have your answer ;)

How did i miss that.

Spoiler

20201210141041_1.thumb.jpg.b815853422e780613c05f7d0fbabfd33.jpg

Or more importantly how is nobody talking about that. This is pretty much what i meant except it seems to be higher tech than an ordinary cannon i was thinking about. I wonder how it will work.

Archived