SuMTiN w/Germ and Temperature Controls (Concept)

Since I'm stalking the forums heading up to early access and have been obsessed with making solid storage since I play on a potato, I figured I'd post a concept that's in it's best iteration. For now I'm calling it SUMTIN (Solid Universal Material Transport Integrated Network) with Germ and Temperature Controls as well as the optional Shove Vole feeding module.

Problems addressed

• Use of separate storage bins
  • Sweep commands
  • Very hot materials
  • Very germy materials
  • Central storage with 1-tile drop for improved CPU
  • Automatic dispersal of materials for use

What it does

• Everything hot from space is shipped on a line that runs through a steam room to get partially cooled and then is led to this room (regolith is split for the purposes of being able to feed or not feed shove voles regolith) along with all other materials (I route polluted dirt, rot pile, oxylite, etc. elsewhere)
  • Centralizes storage and brings all materials to an even temp that you control with no germs (obviously remove chlorine and put hydrogen if that isn't important to you)
  • Centralized storage system that automatically ships materials once they've achieved a desired state
  • Able to flip switch to feed or starve Shove Voles
  • Turn off without changing other settings
  • Since you dump virtually everything here, and assuming you have dreckos for phosporite, it requires no dupe interaction and can be closed access if desired

Everything is pretty straightforward and simple. Since I'm not at super coolant temp sensors are above -5 for the aqua tuners, I've got the room set to 10, the left conveyor shutoff is for the regolith to shove vole ranch, and the rightmost temp sensor in the steam room is just for my curiosity and the outputted materials can be handled pretty easy based on your base with some filters. 

Caveat

• From my last vanilla base, the mini base mod, before early access - a lot of lowend materials are in place like sandstone insulation tiles - could be made much more efficient

Last pic is where my regolith runs as it is fed into my living area so I pre chill it before it runs by my cooling loop in the base. Since its the mini base mod space is tight and its above my off gassing/polluted water vent area. 

SUMTIN-overview.jpg

SUMTIN-temp.jpg

SUMTIN-gas.jpg

SUMTIN-power.jpg

SUMTIN-plumb.jpg

SUMTIN-ship.jpg

SUMTIN-auto.jpg

SUMTIN-ship2.jpg

I would only point out that a 3 tile high chamber for steam would be better when using tempshift plates and insulated tiles inside... I also commend the use of wheezeworts. I've seen less use of them since they now need phosphorite to run... But I guess that's part of the game designers' intention to reduce free stuff in the game... (dupes have to pay to win in this game :D )

I've also grown into the idea of placing power transformers inside the steam chamber because it saves space for plug-boxes. This does mean making them out of steel.

What is your opinion on stacking 2 liquids for liquid locks?

1 hour ago, JRup said:

I would only point out that a 3 tile high chamber for steam would be better when using tempshift plates and insulated tiles inside.

As soon as I read this it made sense and I wish I thought of it before. Temp plates in the middle of 3 tile high chamber would inject less heat into the insulated tiles.

54 minutes ago, JRup said:

I also commend the use of wheezeworts. I've seen less use of them since they now need phosphorite to run... But I guess that's part of the game designers' intention to reduce free stuff in the game... (dupes have to pay to win in this game :D )

For this playthrough I have no need for the phosphorite my drecko ranch produces, and no other use for the wheezeworts I got from the printing pod, it only made sense :) And I think you're right on the intention to reduce 'free' stuff with deoderizers, fridges, etc needing power in the DLC. Ultimately everything in the game has a cost; labor, power, water, etc, balancing it and finding a solution you like is the fun and I'm glad Klei is adding costs to formerly free options. 

1 hour ago, JRup said:

I've also grown into the idea of placing power transformers inside the steam chamber because it saves space for plug-boxes. This does mean making them out of steel.

That's another piece of sound thinking, and something I may need to figure out how to change as all my conductive wires are maxed and I could use a free transformer or two. Chalk that up to being a perpetual noob. Steel isn't much of a cost since you're probably building the AT out of it as well. Not much longer of a wait to make a transformer too.

1 hour ago, JRup said:

What is your opinion on stacking 2 liquids for liquid locks?

To be honest I haven't played around/looked much into locks besides the one here until I get visco gel, although I have a 3 tile double lock to my 300C+ area for a more compact vacuum insulation. One of the locks already broke so I'm uneasy of anything not stable. Definitely would be keen to learn a good 2 liquid lock I've just never bothered to look

Word of warning: planning to set up power transformers inside the steam chamber gets a little messy if you plan to use big wires because they need the special tiles for that.

Stacked liquid locks are stable as long as you plan routes for the dupes ahead of time. If they cross with materials that offgas or if they pass gas inside the lock then you're in for not so merry surprises. If you need more info just ask :D

I don’t have flatulent dupes and all off gassing material is routed to end destinations and not this room so I think it should work. Did a search and saw it’s the same as the 3 tile I’ve been using for my 3 tile high entrance to the hot room just with a 2 tile deep pit instead of 1. Definitely a better design, albeit a bit of a pain to set up, given you avoid the issues you present

I haven't used 3 tile high locks, I only use up to 2 tiles. These can even be used next to airlock doors safely. (Or even build pneumatic doors within)

The debuffs from moistening dupes never count when you suit them up.

I've also just built special arrangements to dispense correct amounts of liquid to mop and set up the locks in less time than just using "autobottle" so there's that. Micromanaging becomes a thing when doing so.

And soon to be shown, liquid locks can also survive materials prone to off gassing. It's just that the volume needed is 2kg or more. Only 2 liquids do provide this characteristic: naphta and visco-gel.

This is a little setup I have in a "natural vacuum" environment. The liquid locks are on the right, next to the doors. Naphta and Petro locks are used in this one.

The bottom center autosweeper has a naphta and viscogel "lock" (it's more like a tower...) and handles oxylite like a champ. (The center tile of the sweeper arm is what temporarily stores materials and interacts with them, nice to know if you're sweeping hot rocks) 2,5kg or so of each liquid was used for this one. I've never made a 2 tall visco-gel lock. Ever.

1769835570_turbinesinspace.thumb.png.65ecb90967601f29d6f3af4500dd7244.png

So yes, a little extra trouble, but it has solved so many issues for me it's silly to think I'd go back to not using them :D.

11 hours ago, TripLykely said:

To be honest I haven't played around/looked much into locks besides the one here until I get visco gel

Don't go crazy making too much of the stuff early-on. An ingredient for this is also needed to make insulation... So find a balance.

At first that’s what I thought you meant, didn’t know it worked, did a search and found a 4 high room with a 2 deep pit and 2 tile lock then thought you meant that. This is nice. Definitely will be my new standard. To be clear, I’d need visco and naphtha to prevent off gassing but any two liquids work? Also if you wouldn’t mind I’d be keen to see the setups to avoid using auto bottle and not have to micromanage it

also that little lock trick on the bottom left is clever, adopting that as well :)

Naphta will be the first (and only) go to before sending rockets. Can pool safely up to about 35kg, but at least 2kg is more than enough to prevent offgassing at floor level (before naptha one can just do a 1 tile high pit with water or such for storage lockers).

1 hour ago, TripLykely said:

To be clear, I’d need visco and naphtha to prevent off gassing but any two liquids work?

Visco-gel is the only other fluid that will pool and keep those 2kg on a lock higher than 1 tile... (maximum mass for visco is 100kg or risk damaging regular tiles underneath -not airflow- and it will grow upwards for silly stuff happening)

2064273277_tallvisco.thumb.png.43587502af1921b81fb7cfed6e699b94.png

If I didn't have visco I would have had to compromise with keeping the sweeper flush on the floor or doing some not so comfortable sandwiching to be able to seal the middle block of the sweeper.

also that little lock trick on the bottom left is clever, adopting that as well :)

You mean sandwiching a lightbulb in petro for lighting in vacuums?

Also if you wouldn’t mind I’d be keen to see the setups to avoid using auto bottle

I had made a post to celebrate my first dupe surviving a faint inside magma... I've also made some progress in making some of the designs better. I'll get back to you in a bit with the new ones in a bit.

1 hour ago, JRup said:
3 hours ago, TripLykely said:

You mean sandwiching a lightbulb in petro for lighting in vacuums?

Just the use of those small locks to keep areas separate and the design compact, I'd have made the room bigger.

1 hour ago, JRup said:

I had made a post to celebrate my first dupe surviving a faint inside magma... I've also made some progress in making some of the designs better. I'll get back to you in a bit with the new ones in a bit.

NIce, will read through those

1 minute ago, TripLykely said:

Just the use of those small locks to keep areas separate

Ah yes, disallow dupes from being themselves whenever possible. Oxylite and rockets are something that gave me a minor headache. It so happens that when I change the amount of oxylite to be used in the rocket the errand is not updated until the payload is delivered and it's a pain in the neck when you actually need less of it because it drops automatically from the rocket and evaporates into the void (have to reload the game to make the setting take effect, likely a bug). So I've opted for micromanaging that one.

Yes, engineering to prevent dupes from being dupes is indeed a key part of ONI :) And oxylite is a pain with that bug. I've got another loader next to the sweeper that loads the rocket on priority 4 to the rockets 5 and dumps in my SPOM. I never remember to reload when moving to a new ring that requires a change in oxylite.

I'm currently moving away from oxylite to LOX and that refinery setup is about to be ripped out. It has served its purpose and it was fun to make an actually pretty setup for that. All power came from solar for those two and automation was pretty tight to keep with power reserves... (1200w a pop is no joke.)

That's a fact about 1200w. Roughly the same place in my playthrough. Was going to make the change now but decided to snag a few rare resources with my petro/oxy setup so I can finely upgrade my power system as I've all but maxed out what I can produce without thermium in the mini base mod. I keep falling behind on overall goals since I shared this I had to incorporate your feedback. With the same dimensions but with a door to allow/disallow access and the ATs are on heavy watt. Now I have repair access to everything should I need it as well. 

SUMTIN-overviewv2.jpg

I would guess the vacuum should actually be where we can see the automation bridge.... also the pneumatic door does not have problems with being inside the liquid lock (just in case you need the space).

On a side note: I take it you used naptha+petro. That's the reliable one with high temps. Crude Oil + petro or Crude Oil + naphta can actually fail if the crude flashes into petro... (actually any liquid that changes state is a risk...)

All in the name of saving tiles!

(edit, liquids: second instance should be Crude Oil + naphta)

So, mini base.... well, I did promise an updated liquid dispenser setup... Could probably be smaller, but most of the needless automation from that v1 article was dealt with. Anyway, hope this helps give an idea. The only automation is for naptha and visco; valves are set at 100g/s. (For reference: naptha drips on top of the glass tile.)

And in this case, super coolant is at the top stair. Automation closes the top valve once any liquid is detected. It is treated basically the same as petro for spot cooling setups. Only these bottles are actually in the 30g range.

So there it is.

338631825_Dispensersetup.thumb.png.4727b362c9022d8c57769f50a172feb3.png

15 hours ago, JRup said:

I would guess the vacuum should actually be where we can see the automation bridge.... also the pneumatic door does not have problems with being inside the liquid lock (just in case you need the space).

Yeah, shortly after posting that image I realized I didn't fully think things through. Now I think I've got it much closer to what I want however I just have a switch for the new mini pump to catch CO2 from dupes. Since dupes will only be allowed in when I decide I think I can do a simple automation with the door so that when it opens a buffer gate keeps the mini pump running for a bit. I'd use an element sensor but the CO2 only ever occupies 1 tile and sits below chlorine so its tricky to trigger the pump that way given the planters creating pits.. 

15 hours ago, JRup said:

On a side note: I take it you used naptha+petro. That's the reliable one with high temps. Crude Oil + petro or Crude Oil + Petro can actually fail if the crude flashes into petro

Funny you bring that up. Early I mentioned having a 3 tile lock to a really hot area breaking. Well it broke because as I've mentioned I"m a perpetual noob. It wasn't stable because my top liquid was water which obviously flashes to steam pretty easy. And sure enough it broke. After dealing with that catastrophe, it looks like this now. And once my rocket returns the sour gas fun will begin. If I can manage to make a regolith melter on the mini base as well then I'd feel I did it justice, really didn't think early access would be the 8th.

SUMTIN-overviewv3.jpg

hot entrance.jpg

SUMTIN-decor.jpg

Neat! I see you've taken to the parallel locks, most useful for insulation.

8 minutes ago, TripLykely said:

once my rocket returns the sour gas fun will begin.

This is a big weakness of vertical locks, the low amount of liquids used is in danger when temperature changes a lot. I'd believe it's the only advantage of a pure visco-gel setup: temperature can be controlled better, and should be less of an issue if it freezes.

15 minutes ago, TripLykely said:

catch CO2 from dupes

They should actually hold their breath in vacuum areas, and there should be no need to automate the mini gas pump. It should always be on standby to pull the vacuum should any gas appear in those areas.

Note to all: * Flatulent ones don't hold back. 'Tis the law of flatulence.

I won’t be using these so liberally on the SG setup with such extreme temps on both sides, but the repair access will have some viscogel locks since I can make some soon.

and the pump in the chlorine is what I want to automate, if dupes run in there they exhale sometimes. Nobody is allowed in currently so it’s turned off but I’d rather not manually control it. Moving the lock to the door would allow a gas element sensor on floor level but there are still pits in the room for CO2 to get trapped and not trigger the pump

hmm, tricky setup then.
Visco-gel turns into naphta at around 479-482.

A very compact filtering setup to ensure chlorine does not leave is to use an element sensor on the gas pipe + a high pressure gas vent (must be this type on account of game timings) and a buffer gate with 0.5s time (works for me on that).

On 12/5/2020 at 12:59 PM, TripLykely said:

but the repair access will have some viscogel locks since I can make some soon.

If you don't mind a little FJ and his chocolate/whisky infused vids, do have fun watching youtube.com/watch?v=ruYZXASk8iY

Archived