Dupe teleporters should require power similar to how transport tube terminals work

Current behaviour: One charge, extremely slow recharge that you appear to be unable to boost.

This appears to encourage using rockets, but I think the teleporters should be useful in their own right as well as require infrastructure to maintain.

Proposal: Up to 3 charges (generate with 1-3), require a large chunk of power per charge.

As a ballpark guess, I think it should take 300MJ per teleporter charge - 100W (25% manual generator usage) across 5 cycles or 600W (coal generator) across 5/6ths of a cycle - which lets it retain value into late game if the link happens to be useful for sharing dupes. This could be required either just for the sending side, or split across both sides. This would also make it an early-game choice, do I take the time to send over additional dupes to the other asteroid to develop it when it will take considerable effort?

Also, after discovering the teleporter and looking at the target, there is no way to see where it goes without actually using it if you forget.

I think the design of their recharge time is intended to encourage you to get rockets working if you need to frequently move dupes around. The teleporters are still useful for sending out dupes to begin preparing a new asteroid for habitation, and you can bring your guys back if necessary, then send them out again a few cycles later once their stress levels have cooled down. But it doesn't seem like the intention is to be frequently swapping dupes between asteroids.

I like the idea of having multiple charges. After teleporting, I really wanted to send in a couple extra pairs of hands to help get the basics up and running quickly.

The problem I see with using power to recharge is that if the amount of power required is realistic for an early-game build, it's going to be trivial for a late-game build. Which would make rockets obsolete.

I would keep the recharge mechanic as it is but just have more charges available, with each charge on its own timer. So if you send 2 dupes on cycle 50 and 1 dupe on cycle 51, then you can send 2 more dupes on cycle 55 and 1 more dupe on cycle 56.

Archived