Some random character tweaks

Please, dig in and criticize on these as much as you can, as I'm by no means an expert on these characters. These ideas are mostly just random brainstorming things, for fun:

WX-78

SOCKETS: Instead of eating gears for permanent-until-death upgrades, how about giving him 5 upgrade sockets, located above your equipped inventory (where you have the hand/chest/head)? Each socket can contain either a gear or a gem, which you can swap freely. Some ideas of what they can do:

• Wether you put in a gear or a gem = +10 max health, hunger.and sanity per slot occupied.
  • Gear = +40 max health and +20 max sanity per gear. Just a generic statboost, with no downsides.
  • Red Gem = Makes WX-78 act as a source of heat (X radius and X heat power increase per gem?) -- drains sanity when heating up self or allies who are below X temp, or whenever drying any wetness. Incompatible with blue gems – Note: Does NOT ignite nearby structures/enemies
  • Blue Gem = Makes WX-78 act as a source of cold (X radius and X coldness increase per gem?) -- drains sanity when cooling down self or allies who are above X temp, or whenever putting out nearby fires (Note: Does not put out CAMPfires). Incompatible with red gems – Note: Does NOT freeze nearby enemies
  • Purple Gem = Mild attack-damageboost (5% per gem?) -- drains sanity on attacking
  • Yellow Gem = Small radial glow (1 radius-unit per gem?) -- drains very small sanity over time,with a more noticeable drain if any darkness is illuminated
  • Orange Gem = Mild movement speedboost (+5% speed per gem?) -- drains sanity while walking
  • Green Gem = Crafting and working (chop, mine, dig, hammer) speedboost, (+12,5% speed per gem?) -- drains sanity when crafting or working

Basicly, you can customize his strengths..Note that if you use 5 gears, you'll have 400 health, 200 hunger and 300 sanity (same as on live but without needing 15 gears). Also, if you die - ALL socketed gears and gems are dropped to the ground.

WATERWEAR + WATERFEAR: A lot more damage taken from rain/wetness + loses sanity over time when on boats.
Just so his downsides are more noticeable, and to give him an area which he is clearly not a strong pick (i.e. on the seas).

WOLFGANG

MIGHTYNESS: Instead of being directly tied to hunger, it now is its own meter, with similar drainage and such as how it his hunger currently works

DUMBBELL: An item unique to Wolfgang. Utilize this to gain ”mighty” levels, at the cost of hunger.

HUNGER:  Drain is now a static 1,5x throughout – the more rapid hungerdrain is now all based on using the dumbbell instead and the seperate Mightyness meter.

The 3 changes above are all meant to make his foodmanagement more predictable - but also requires more maintenance, even midfight, micromanaging with the dumbbell AND potentially eating to keep up the Mightyness. While maybe these 3 ideas are not a necessary string of changes, I felt it would make his Mightyness a bit more... logical? And if nothing else, having dumbbells or weights of some kind as his special item(s) in some way (not necessarily THIS way though) I think sounds thematically very fitting.
Furthermore, with a constant above average hungerdrain, he'd get a more clear downside and can no longer "hide" that downside by staying in Wimpy form for extended times.

STRONGMAN: Can carry heavy items and ALLIES with no slowdown (when "regular" & Mighty). When regular or Mighty, he can also throw the heavy piece / ally a short distance. If his Mightyness meter is too low (i.e. "wimpy") he loses these benefits and then work like the other characters.
Meant to give him some more utility, fitting with his Strongman theme.

FEARS: Much stronger sanity drains from dark and monster auras.
Just to emphasize his apparent cowardliness, and

WES

MIMEOMANCY!
Can do many ”tool-jobs” without the actual tools, at the cost of some Sanity when doing so, if emptyhanded (using rightclick to do so):

• Can chop trees etc without an Axe! Efficiency is the same as basic Axe. Costs 0,25 Sanity per chop.
  • Can mine stones, Stone Fruits etc, without a Pickaxe! Efficiency is the same as basic Pickaxe. Costs 0,5 Sanity per mining.
  • Can dig various plants etc without a Shovel! Efficiency is the same as basic Shovel. Costs 2 Sanity per digging.
  • Can row a boat without an Oar! Efficiency is the same as basic Oar. Costs 0,25 Sanity per stroke.
  • Can shave Beefalos and shave off Barnacles without a Razor! Costs 1 Sanity per shave.
  • Can fish (ponds and in ocean) without any type of Fishing Rod. Efficiency for ocean fishing is the same as a Twig as float, and a Rot for bait. Costs 2 Sanity per fishcast.
  • All other tools (such as Hammer and Pitchfork etc) still requires the actual tools for the job

This gives Wes, aside from his rather niched Balloonomancy, a bit more of an actual uniqueness to him that can actually be quite helpful. While he might still be quite the food-consumer, at least that can now be counteracted a bit with saving material on tools with the Mimeomancy. Not to mention, it would save loads of inventory space.

WOODIE

Very random ideas here:

LUCY BOOMERANG: Rightclick with Lucy equipped to throw like a Boomerang at enemies. Same damage as a regular chop.

KITSCHY IDOLS: No longer spoils. No longer alters health, hunger nor sanity. Also accessible in inventory during any Wereform, for instant form-change and full Weremeter-reset (can use the same idol as the form you're already in, for the Weremeter-reset too!)

EQUIPMENT: No longer throws all hand/head/armor-items to the ground, but rather they just ”deactivate” during Wereforms. If this isn't possible, at least make him slot them in his inventory/backpack automatically, if there is space for them

DE-TRANSFORMATION: Rightclick on the Weremeter to instantly drop out of your current form and back to human form

WEREBEAVER SPECIAL MOVE: Rightclick for a tail slam. Uproots all tree stumps, and deals minor damage and potential stun on enemies in an AoE

WEREGOOSE SPECIAL MOVE: Rightclick for a quick flight-jump (think Lazy Explorer, but which takes time to travel)

VERY OVERPOWERED "STAT-BOOSTER" IDEA: Weremeter is a seperate meter with these 3 ideas: Regain Sanity in Weremoose form while fighting. Regain Hunger in Werebeaver form while chomping. Regain Health in Weregoose form while moving.

The ideas for the Kitschy Idols and manual De-transformation is to allude to the trailer, in which he constantly changed form in the middle of battle. The "stat-booster" idea (at least for Goose and Moose) are to give you more of a reason to do so (run and heal with the Goose, remain sane while fighting with the Moose).

WARLY

CHEF POUCH: Now a headgear, which only Warly can use! Only contains 4 slots now, but still slows food spoilage. It CAN be placed in your invenroty, but only one can be carried at once. It cannot be placed in any backpack or other Chef Pouches. Can only be placed in chests and similar containers if it's empty, otherwise it has to be dropped to the ground.
This means that it will actually not be obsoleted by Insulated Pack (since they are equipped in different slots), which I think sounds right, considering it is a character-specific item and all.

WILLOW

BERNIE SUMMON: Additional summon alternative: When Bernie is equipped in hand, rightclick on Bernie to summon him on the field. This costs 50 Sanity, but he lasts until either his death or if Willow goes up to him and righclicks him while emptyhanded (which shrinks him and puts him back in her handslot). Mostly as an idea to give Bernie a use outside of insane states, giving it more use than what is basicly just a niche for Nightmare Fuel farming.

That's all from me for now. Please tell me what you think!

12 hours ago, Azamagon said:

MIMEOMANCY!

i suggested this too a long time ago! i think it would fit him so well and be a nice and unique perk. i was only thinking the basic 3 tools though like chopping, mining and digging. razor could be nice too but im not sure about fishing since thats so different and specific 

Maybe he could also get some kind of tool that allows him to pull items towards him to go with the rope pulling act that mimes do. this would be very useful while riding a beefalo and on the ocean to grab salt etc 

On 11/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, Ohan said:

i suggested this too a long time ago! i think it would fit him so well and be a nice and unique perk. i was only thinking the basic 3 tools though like chopping, mining and digging. razor could be nice too but im not sure about fishing since thats so different and specific 

Maybe he could also get some kind of tool that allows him to pull items towards him to go with the rope pulling act that mimes do. this would be very useful while riding a beefalo and on the ocean to grab salt etc 

Great minds think alike ;)
Regardless of what "tools" he could mimic, anything in that regard would just be great, really.

Oh, that rope-pull thing is excellent! Reminds me of an idea I was gonna suggest for the Sea Fishing Rod:
Grappling Device - Sink/float (it occupies both those slots) for Sea Fishing Rod. When equipped, it makes you able to collect small items in the ocean from a distance. Casts with perfect accuracy and reel to bring the item closer. Has unlimited uses. Can be stored in the Tackle Box and Spectackler Box.

So, that idea, basicly, but Wes could do it both at sea and on land with your rope idea. That sounds pretty awesome. I'm gonna add that to the main post, if I may?

On 11/19/2020 at 12:47 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I like some changes for wx but that woodie is op xD

Glad you like the WX changes! I'd be excited to try out something like that myself.

And yes, the Woodie stuff is very likely OP - those are just some VERY random ideas.

Archived