My ideas regarding dst's ambiance

I feel like dst is quite lacking when it comes to ambiance and mood. If you don't go out of your way then the land feels sort of dead. And even if you do try then you don't really have the tools to do so.

These ideas would most likely require an entire update.

Anyway here they are:

-2 alternative sprites for things like grass tufts, saplings, boulders etc

-more idle animations for creatures that the player comes across frequently such as Pigman, Spiders, Hounds etc.

-more interactions between mobs and their environment, for example Pigman harvesting berry bushes and cleaning after themselves

-seasons receiving something new each year. For example on your first winter the game rng picks that icebergs will float in the ocean but the next year the game rng picks that piles of snow will accumulate on the surface. That way the seasons would feel less repeatable

-some very small insects walking on the ground and flying in the air. You can't interact with them simmilar to the flies that fly above poop

-small plants (like tufts of grass) depended of the turf growing with an idle animation. We can't interact with them. Their job would be to make even a place stripped of its resources feel lively. That way our character wouldn't be the only thing moving on the screen

-wind durring autumn which blows leaves around and makes them appear on the ground simmilary to how spring rains make puddles

-a way for players to place down structures like boulders, hollow trunks, spiky trees etc for late-game sandbox building

-a lot of structures that could be used for decorating with no other function. I like the statues we have but they do limit our creativity. What if I jsut wanted to place down a fallen tree trunk

-a telescope- like structure which would display one of many pictures of the Constant's sky when used

-giving abyss in caves a special animation of like dark dust appearing when an items falls into it (right now it just usses the ocean splash effect)

-fruiting trees

-more turf-depended ambiance effects simmilar to how marsh turf has a special ambiance effects. Could be related to the small insects I've mentioned earlier- on some turfs a different type of insect would spawn.

There, that's all I think. Idk if they are good ideas but I really just needed to get them off my chest.

Discuss I guess

As a person who has played lots of survival games, and I mean some of the worst you can possibly imagine- I would like to see features that games like Rockstars Red Dead Redemption 2 uses (not a survival game but I’m surprised this concept isn’t used more often IN Survival games..)

That feature- Thick snow slows movement speed. Making the area particularly harder to travel through, kind of like winter sandstorm- but this would be full on Winter Blizzard.

It should obviously be something players can toggle on or off, because I understand and respect that not all players want a hardcore survival game experience out of DST.

But at the same time if it’s sold to me as a Survival game I would like more survival features added to the game.. that shouldn’t sound like it’s too unreasonable to ask for.

I would like to take this time to once again thank Klei for giving me the option to host worlds that start on random seasons and have random season lengths.. 

This one feature went a long way in “Situational Survival” Winter no longer starting and ending on a particular day, having to rush to find resources you could’ve normally took your dear sweet time getting, these are the kind of survival challenges I throughly enjoy.

Archived