Jump to content

Some problems regarding debris temperature!


Recommended Posts

I was doing a bit of research on magma and found this video, around 3:30 the uploader talked about something interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNyGrs0HsWI&t=210s      (this link should automatically take you to 3:30)

basically, when some of magma drops onto igneous rock debris, as the magma solidifies and merges with the existing debris, the new merged debris takes on the temperature of the existing debris, causing massive heat deletion.

for example, when 100kg of magma @1500c drops onto a 100kg igneous rock debris @ 25c, they just merge into a 200kg debris @ 25c, instead of averaging to 760+c like it should be.

Then I tested in a sandbox and was kinda shocked to find out this is still the case in the latest version. I gotta say this is pretty lame! I wanted to build a nice little heat harvester on a volcano and now I don't even know how to design one because I fear much of my desgin would be about avoiding this exploit-ish trait.

I like how klei removed a lot of heat deletion stuff from the game cuz l really like managing temperature. Now I realize heat deletion/addition has been happening all around my base (because debris dropping happens all the time and my main method of strorage is dropping debris into a pit), I'm kinda having a existential crisis because I was so pround of my heat management.

What do you guys think about this? Will Klei fix this? Should Klei fix this? For me, if this remains as a feature I kinda wanna stop playing....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just move the debris out of the way right after magma solidifies... maybe sweeper -> loader -> rail, where, BTW, heat exchange is way more effective.

If the rail is a loop with a temp sensor and drops all igneous rock packets at the same temp, the issue when they merge into bigger debris is almost irrelevant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Confused Magma said:

Now I realize heat deletion/addition has been happening all around my base (because debris dropping happens all the time and my main method of strorage is dropping debris into a pit)

I don't think you're encountering this bug as much as you think.  It only happens with a liquid freezes/solidifies in the same tile as an existing debris pile.  When two debris piles merge temperature is calculated correctly.  So your infinite storage pit isn't deleting any heat.  Generally, magma and metal volcanoes are the only two places most people will run into this bug accidentally.

As @TheMule said, the way to avoid it is ensure that you move debris away from where you're freezing magma immediately.  Sweepers are one solution.  You can also use the fact that mesh tiles will eject debris from them to do it (example).

7 hours ago, Confused Magma said:

What do you guys think about this? Will Klei fix this? Should Klei fix this?

I think the consensus is generally that this is an obvious bug (aka undesirable feature), since it introduces a massive hole in the otherwise mostly consistent conservation of heat. I played with it a while back (see this thread) and it's certainly an exploitable bug, but you have to go out of your way to make it game breaking.  Whether it will get fixed in the near future, is another question.  Honestly I doubt it, It's been a known bug for a while and I think they're busy working on the DLC (which I'd rather have than a bug fix).  It's also not the only outstanding temperature calculation bug.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

I don't think you're encountering this bug as much as you think.  It only happens with a liquid freezes/solidifies in the same tile as an existing debris pile.  When two debris piles merge temperature is calculated correctly.  So your infinite storage pit isn't deleting any heat.  Generally, magma and metal volcanoes are the only two places most people will run into this bug accidentally.

As @TheMule said, the way to avoid it is ensure that you move debris away from where you're freezing magma immediately.  Sweepers are one solution.  You can also use the fact that mesh tiles will eject debris from them to do it (example).

I think the consensus is generally that this is an obvious bug (aka undesirable feature), since it introduces a massive hole in the otherwise mostly consistent conservation of heat. I played with it a while back (see this thread) and it's certainly an exploitable bug, but you have to go out of your way to make it game breaking.  Whether it will get fixed in the near future, is another question.  Honestly I doubt it, It's been a known bug for a while and I think they're busy working on the DLC (which I'd rather have than a bug fix).  It's also not the only outstanding temperature calculation bug.

 

 

13 hours ago, TheMule said:

Just move the debris out of the way right after magma solidifies... maybe sweeper -> loader -> rail, where, BTW, heat exchange is way more effective.

If the rail is a loop with a temp sensor and drops all igneous rock packets at the same temp, the issue when they merge into bigger debris is almost irrelevant.

thank u guys for the reply! nice to know that it's only happening when liquid solidifies.

imma do some tests in sandbox mode to better understand how it works. thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2020 at 6:23 PM, ghkbrew said:

It only happens with a liquid freezes/solidifies in the same tile as an existing debris pile.

I didn't know what exactly caused the bug. I knew that most of the times they merge correctly. Thanks for the info. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...