Help in my geysers

so I have a leaky oil fissure next to a cool steam vent and I want to use them for power and maybe some plastic production in early game. I am in 85 cycle - still pretty early - I was going to do some ethanol power for my base and for O2 but I found out those 2 under my base -literally- and thought maybe I can make petroleum for power and plastic instead of ethanol but I don't know what's the best setup for this, I also have natural gas close to them :p.

base.png

OK, the leaky oil fissure produces oil at a fixed rate, much like the nat gas vent produces natural gas at a fixed rate. You can use the nat gas vent to fuel a generator that runs a refinery to change the crude into petrolem, then use the petrolem to power another generator.  Because the leaky oil fissure is always adding oil, you don't need to set up an oil well, so you won't need water to get your fuel.

Both the leaky oil fissure and the natural gas vent will send hot materials your way. They're not enough to really get much energy from heat but just enough to cook equipment made from gold amalgam. The leaky oil fissure will cook steel components if given a chance, but the actual output may be on the low side. As long as you don't empty all that water you can cool down the crude oil with that. Later on the steam itself can help.

The natural gas vent is easy to deal with short term. Don't dig it out completely before you get steel and you can use the gas in the meantime with gold amalgam equipment. Natural gas is not that rich heat-wise and the idea is to dump the extra heat in the natural tiles until you can box it in with proper equipment ...

On 9/25/2020 at 3:39 PM, JRup said:

The natural gas vent is easy to deal with short term.

Its very easy.  As you stated, "Don't dig it out completely."  In fact, just dig out enough to get in there with a gas pump and an atmo-sensor.  Set the sensor for 'above 2000' and you can run for hundreds of cycles without any problems at all using just normal copper.  The roughly 2000g per square of NG that you aren't pumping will help transfer the heat of the new gas into the surrounding materials.  NG really doesn't have a lot of thermal capacity, so the surrounding rocks can take a LOT before things start warming up.

Archived