Calories need a rework

As the title says

lets start with sleet grain.
It takes 20 kg of water a cycle so over 365 cycles it needs 7.3 tonnes of water or  7.3 meters per meter^2 per year. Real grain takes about 2.5 mm per day or about 0.9 meters per year. Meaning that it takes literally almost ten times as much water as it does in reality while producing about a fourth of the calories meaning that all farming in the game is ineffective at best for feeding your dupes and actively harmful at worst.
The math is pretty similar if not worse for all other food crops.

And then there are shovels which are as bs as they come.
with them you can in a 8*6 room(and that includes walls)produce enough food to feed 50 dupes or feed and oxygenate via rot off-gas 20 of them with no resource input and minimal dupe input and i am certain Brothgar could find a way to produce 50kw with the setup.
Meaning that they are so overpowered that there is no other method that is even on the same magnitude when it comes to food production making a whole aspect of the game not worth even trying.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:34 AM, heikki9736 said:

The math is pretty similar

The math you identify does not take into consideration the quality of the food. The higher the quality, typically the more resources required to make it.

Each food source is useful or not depending on the player’s play style. What someone finds overpowered and easy, another may find cumbersome and not worth the effort.

I think the current balance is fine. More variety would always be welcome though.

2 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

The math you identify does not take into consideration the quality of the food.

Yes you are right that 10k calories of frostburger needs a 100 kg of water (slightly more with fertilizer) and while same amount of calories  of pepperbread takes 725 kg of water while frostbun takes 500 kg but that was not the point.
the point is that at the moment no-one should under any circumstance be farming anything making a whole aspect of the game not worth playing.

@heikki9736 lol your posts make me laugh.
Love the game physics, 365 cycles makes a year therefore ..., sky sand eating bison are OP, dont you dare farm anything bla bla bla :D

Its a game dude, just have fun with it.
I get that the food sources arent balanced and you can bet money that the devs are aware of it, but it sounds like this really bothered you :D enough to make a thread anyway...

Archived