Maxwell Quality of Life Improvements

We know all characters are gonna recive a rework, for now I don't have good ideias for Maxwell but here are some small changes.

• Maxwell now can click at the codex in his inventory, doing so will command the shadows if they should work or follow Maxwell.
  • Shadows now prioritize big trees over small ones.
  • Maxwell know can click in a shadow, doing so will make the shadow stop following him and working in a small range arround the area, if Maxwell not pick up the shadow in one day the shadow dies.

6 hours ago, MrZeroLeft said:

Maxwell now can click at the codex in his inventory, doing so will command the shadows if they should work or follow Maxwell.

Yessss, this would be great! Shadow miners always end up destroying Glommer's statue, Wobster mounds, and tiny marble shrubs, so it'd be great if there was a way to disable them!

Shadows now prioritize big trees over small ones.

This would also be a really great improvement!

Maxwell know can click in a shadow, doing so will make the shadow stop following him and working in a small range arround the area, if Maxwell not pick up the shadow in one day the shadow dies.

Interesting idea, but IMO this is kinda OP. Maxwell is already an AFK farmer; one of his downsides is that he can't go very far while his shadow puppets are working, so he's relatively balanced in that regard. The change wouldn't completely negate this downside, but overall it just seems too powerful. I do like the meme potential of this concept, though... Maxwell leaves a shadow puppet to go get milk and never comes back. :wilson_resigned: What a tragedy.

Anyway, I'm hoping the main change in Maxwell's rework will be with fixing his shadow duelists, since they are essentially useless right now. Not really sure what improvements I want for them. Right now I'm thinking that it would be best to make them invulnerable, but only last for a couple days.

I feel like Maxwell should give up the idea on shadow puppets doing manual labor. He has access to the Codex Umbra, his last possession from the Shadow Throne. He one of the two characters that can read magic. He has the unique ability to fragment his mind... and he uses it to do some manual labor for him.

The fact that his shadow minion aren't the best choice in combat, in BOTH games, leaves something to be desired. In solo, Maxwell loses 15 HP - any lost HP is dangerous in battle - you're better off just not summoning any minions into battle at all. In Together, Maxwell needs to do several things: have spare nightmare fuel AND have the time between battle to craft a spear AND the shadow minion in the likely event that a shadow minion dies. There are handful of bosses take advantage of fleeing players!

If Klei wants Maxwell on par with the rest of the survivors, I would suggest removing the Maxwell's harvesting or combat abilities entirely. I would HIGHLY suggest removing the harvesting shadow minions. In place of this, Maxwell becomes a GLASS CANNON character - a design that was only seen in Wendy before it was quickly removed. Shadow minions can no longer be targeted or killed. Maxwell will have to feel the full brunt of any attack whilst fighting. On top of his lower max HP, Maxwell could even have -10% armor efficiency; instead of Night Armor having 95% resist on Maxwell, Night Armor gives only 85.5% resist!

Because of all of these nerfs & weaknesses, Maxwell can truly fit the mold of a glass cannon! As I said, shadow minions don't have to be killable or target-able thanks to the "glass cannon" concept. Shadow Duelists can do even more than just 40 DMG & maybe even a new AoE shadow minion could be created for frogs, spiders, tentapillars, & hounds!

It's for certain an interesting idea Blu_Ni but I believe that this would be a DRASTIC change that would divide the community because it's kinda changing the nature and concept of the character until know ( Yes I understand that is your point ).

Actually I like the idea of the puppets because from Maxwell personality he is the kinda of guy who let other do the work for him, but if he want the work well done he has to do it himself, I love this ideia to problem is that the puppets are way to dump and some times mess with your decoration or resources.

As for combat I also think he should be very weak at it, exept em using nigthmare gear, in fact I believe that he should use nigthmare gear and magic better than the others, but back to the point he should have a way to influence creatures to do the to do the biting for him. but this is totally based in my personal experience when summon the tree guards then sit and watch then beating deerclops and say, this fits Maxwell so well.

Archived