Prestige Change damaged replayability

I was enjoying coming back to the game and trying my hardest to grind up higher in prestige levels. I was almost halfway there on Sal.

With the new update I'm already maxed out on Prestige.

I get that I need to grind to get experience to get perks, but those perks, I assume, will make the game easier.

There's no longer a challenge of making the game 'harder' with each successful attempt. The ladder is gone, and so is my motivation to keep grinding brawls.

Solution: Prestige needs far more ranks to unlock. The game needs to increase in difficulty every time you beat it and present newer challenges. 

The prestige levels have been merged. Old prestige 15 is the new prestige 6. Base game difficulty was also increased. If you were only halfway, I suggest trying max prestige and see how you fare.

The problem with the old prestige levels was that each increase in prestige was barely noticeable. You had to grind *a lot* to get to the more interesting difficulty levels.

On 9/6/2020 at 4:07 AM, dangermousebuu said:

Yeah. So whats the point of playing without the grind?

To both make every prestige level a bigger leap, and make it easier to reach max prestige when previously it was at least 20 hours. If you're really fast, skip the dialogue and don't have to redo a run once.

It didn't hurt replayablity. It made the game's content easier to reach for the playerbase.

Logging on to discover I'm already done with the game was a bit disappointing. I wish they would have tiered out the unlocks a bit better, but I really like the setup of the difficult right now. 15 levels of adding "one more thing" was too grindy. Now it's satisfying to reach a new tier, and each tier adds enough that it doesn't feel negligible, like some of the earlier singlet bonuses.

I'd like to take the counter approach.   Slay the Spire's grind to ascension 20 was really fun, but there were definitely ones that felt way too similar to the last run.  I appreciate that each Prestige jump is a meaningful step up in difficulty..

Archived