Death in the name of Ceviche

In Ceviche.thumb.png.5881f0a4813156f33e57e33d41929999.pngmy quest to obtain all the cookbook entries since last week's QoL update, I was (and still am) missing Barnacle Dishes and Ceviche amongst a couple other things. So, aiming to complete the barnacle dishes, I joined an empty, dedicated vanilla server on late Autumn, made a boat base near the McTusks (Luck would have it there were four) and made sure I'd be ready to sail away with my floating base right after Deerclops's visit. I picked my trusty Warly, not only because he's my favorite character to play as but due to the convenience of having portable crock on board.

Everything went so well, I obtained Walking Cane, extra tusk, Tam o Shanter, gears, lantern, silk etc. and I met all my goals for the sea adventure except for a birdcage, but had enough eggs from killing Penguls anyway.

Thus I finally set sail after a surprisingly professional Deerclops kill and not a day into my expedition I found a shoal, which have been elluding me in my sea adventures for a long time. Given that I hade spare rot on board, and 50+ ices in my fridges, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to finally register ceviche to my cookbook. After hunting my two seabass and registering ceviche, I wanted to get just a couple more large fish meat from the shoal and guess who I angered by that. I had never encountered Malbatross before in the game and I barely heard his behavior towards players fishing in his specific shore so I felt a mixed feeling of amusement, awe, bloodlust and panic. I had just fought Deerclops so my armors were few and my healing foods were basically leftovers. Still withoug a second thought I started wailing my fresh Hambat on the miracle of the nature and a fierce 20200828190402_1.thumb.jpg.ec8967e8f3e4357b15d5c1d800ef22be.jpg
fight began; I was so hype at the every moment of the fight, amazed by Malbatross' attacks, amazed by its voice, amazed by its moves etc. It got to the wave phase which had me confused for a while but after making a boomerang, I managed to re-engage with it in the close range, completely forgotting making new healing food (all easily available recipes were already on my dish memory from deerclops fight anyway) and even putting on my wooden armor. Malbatross wrecked me on the third phase and thus it was a game over, even though I had spare armor in the boat. I gotta say, it's a pretty fun boss and I can't wait to encounter it again, had great pleasure fighting it. However after doing some thinkering about ceviche, I reignited my qualms with the recipe that I hadn't done since Hook Line and Inker was first released and I'd like to voice them now. Following is my rant on ceviche:

Why does this mediocre health dish with mediocre cooling effect require 2 whole Fish in DST now? It makes no sense. After placing 2 fish in the crock pot, put in just a morsel and you'll get Surf n Turf, a dish that is multitudes better. You can make 2 Fishstick with two fish. Heck even 2 fish tacos is preferable if you encountered some popperfish. Even in the caves Seafood Gumbo is a much better alternative. In some part of the development I discretely remember being able to make this after It was first introduced in Warly update,with two fish morsels from the oasis, which provided this some niche usage but now since you have to have two big fish from deep seas or two eels from deep caves, I see absolutely no reason to make this besides that one time to fill your cook book- which I did today and willl likely never visit this dish again unless its fish amound is reverted to 1 fish. 

Archived