Jump to content

Static Gas Apartment for 64 dupes


Recommended Posts

I had an idea to try to make sleeping quarters for 64 dupes where the gases are static so that every bed and table has oxygen without using airflow tiles.

image.thumb.png.07e4fe999f04d7760b2cbe61fd4cb490.png

image.thumb.png.090bebf1c55b5838ffc46409b988a3fd.png

image.thumb.png.3e5f4bf4d0d3d03e8d2aaac113f0ba50.pngimage.thumb.png.cebd457f134356dfd9541eafe42fd7c5.png

First of all, those are sporechids making the nature reserve.  My dupes deserve the best flowers, so they get them.  They are submerged in water, so all the spores go in to the water instead of the CO2, therefore they are completely neutralized. 

All the air comes in from the left, where the atmo sensors shut down the vents at 3700 grams to prevent popped eardrums.  Sometimes the dupes at the end get low oxygen modifiers though.  This would not happen if I increased the pressure.

The CO2 goes out through the ladder section to the pump below. 

Additionally, I executed a trick with the exosuits at the bottom of the base where the dupes can almost go straight from the ladder to the exosuit checkpoint without running past the exosuit docks, so I put all 64 exosuits in a lines.

This is EXTREMELY finicky, but it was fun to design.  As long as the dupes don't all hang out at the same place, the system appears to be stable.  This means that the dupes have to do vacate the area and can not be left idle in the bedrooms or great halls.

To build this in survival, you would have to be very patient.  First, build the first room without a floor and put a bit of hydrogen in.  Then pump in a large quantity of oxygen to force the hydrogen to the top of the room.  Then pump in carbon dioxide and pump out most of the oxygen (while still making sure there is more oxygen per tile than hydrogen).  Once the oxygen is forced back to only 1 tile height, build the floor, vacuum the area underneath, and continue with the room below.  This one is simpler because there are only 2 gases.  Pump in a bit of oxygen and pump in a lot of CO2.  Essentially repeat the process all the way down, remembering to build the statues in the upper great hall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've tried something similar with my oxyferns and had mixed results.  The original problem was that oxygen "bubbling up" through the CO2 would "push" CO2 out into areas of my base where I didn't want it.  Creating a forced layer of oxygen above a layer of CO2 solved my problem.

Spoiler

 image.thumb.png.38f656b0b2d56ef766b36b8e97a5be61.png

image.thumb.png.f9e3842e6d7fd696701bf2c5aae4df4c.png

Everything works perfectly fine if I seal off the room and use pumps to get the oxygen out into the base. If I leave it open air, then the CO2 coming in from dupes ends up creating a second layer.  Which, again, is fine, but it requires much tighter regulation of CO2 from the pipe.  

There are three fail cases that I encountered repeatedly until I got things working:

1)   With a calculated steady flow of CO2, leaving it "open air" will result in the CO2 levels steadily building up due to dupes.  Not a problem in the short term, but after 100 cycles it was up around 10kg/tile.  This lead to problem #2...

2) Airflow tiles over all the plants resulted in towers of CO2 at the outer edges.  Normally not a problem, but it led to CO2 escaping out into my base where I didn't want it.  Also, this lead to problem #3...

3) Oxyferns stop producing when they're above a certain 'pressure.'  Once the CO2 was 3 stacks high, the ferns would stop producing oxygen due to over-pressure.

The fixes that worked:

1) Putting an atmo sensor on one side connected to a vent on the other side allows for closing the vent when pressure was too high.  Setting the atmo sensor at 1000g seemed to work just fine and prevented the CO2 from building up to untenable "pressures."

2) Replacing airflow tiles with solid tiles on the outer edges stopped the CO2 from creating towers.  This combined with fix 1 also solved problem 3.

 

So, layering oxygen over CO2 on the outer edges allowed my ferns to produce at their normal rate without going over pressure.  Using an atmo-sensor on the vent prevented CO2 from building up, even though the room is open to the base.  Its fairly stable, and the CO2 only builds up to a second layer when oxygen "pressures" are below 2000.  Down to about 700g per square of oxygen, the CO2 will push down into the band at the bottom as the ferns release oxygen, and thus won't spread out into my base but instead stay where it belongs keeping everybody happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...