Loading saves after having played much slower

Hello,

No idea if this has been looked into or is known unresolvable issue, but when I play older colonies, 2K+ days, I've noticed that loading your save the first time after you start up the game is actually faster then any subsequent attempt. I haven't taken down any solid numbers, but the difference for me at least is very obvious. Start up the game, pick your save, load it, takes around 20-30 seconds. Play for a while, load it again, or make a new save and load it, takes more than a minute, sometimes more than a couple. This is very bizarre to me, goes against general principals of optimization and any higher level caching - you would expect the first time would be slower and general assets and etc would be loaded already the next time. Whatever is happening is clearly hampering game loading to a point where for me, if I want to load a save after I have played for a while, it is faster to alt+f4 and start the game again and then load, rather than waiting for the loading to complete from playing state. Maybe something worth looking into if it's not just me?

I am not excluding the possibility of a game engine out of the developers' control being used, in which case tough luck :D.

This is a know issue. There is some kind of memory leak when loading games from within a running game. The only way (and much faster) is to close the game, start again and load the save then. 

If you load from within a game, there will be some code left in the memory, and it will become slower and slower every time, consuming more and more RAM. 

This behavior is in the game from the beginning, and i dont think it will be ever fixed completely.

Archived