Renewability of mushrooms

First of all, I'm aware of Mushroom planter existence in DST. However, I still prefer wild mushrooms for several reasons - they don't require living logs to grow and they don't turn into rot when winter starts (only on the surface). For that reason, I suggest few ways to make wild mushrooms renewable, both involve mushroom spores and both refer to mushroom's dependency on tree material to grow (that's how mushroom planter works).

First method: infesting wet (due to current or recent rain) tree stumps (evergreen/birch/twiggy) with mushroom spores during full moon. Full moon requirement is based on the fact that full moon instantly makes small mushrooms temporarily turn into mushtrees which indicates full moon's importance for mushrooms' growth ability; wet part refers to mushrooms own reliance on rain to regrow + being wet allows stumps to be properly infested with spores. Since there's no moon cycle in caves, I'd suggest the alternative of full moon in caves being blooming season of corresponding mush tree (summer for red, spring for green and winter for blue) + corresponding fungal turf underneath the stump. Being wet is requirement in both cases.

Second method: infesting totally normal tree and poison birchnut tree stumps with mushrooms spores at any time. Totally normal trees are not renewable outside of hallowed nights event so it would mostly rely on poison birchnut tree stumps. Additional requirements present in first method are absent to make up for rarity of living tree stumps.

For both cases, infesting will turn the stump into infested stump, which will then require 10 times the amount of rain duration necessary for wild mushroom to regrow. Afterwards, infested stump will permanently turn into wild mushrooms.

Don't wild mushrooms regrow after a heavy rain for a few minutes? Even so, I don't think that the Mushroom Planter is an unfair method of transplanting mushrooms to an area you want; I just feel like it could give you a few more harvests before needing more living logs personally. This may really only be an issue if one were to decide to dig up mushrooms manually or burn them, so care must be taken to wait until next rainfall if you need more.

Archived