save deleted after unexpected crash

Hey, I was playing the game the day before the rook brawl update and on day 4 of my sal brawl my game crashed. I took this as a sign to get off for the rest of the day. Well when I signed in today (jun 25) i noticed my save data is gone. Is there a way I can edit my files and just unlock the the stuff I had before my save was deleted?

image.thumb.png.d7a50d8ca5f73d43a2d3954701cfd1b3.png

• Developer

I'm sorry to hear that you have had save troubles. We've heard very sporadic reports of this (mostly related to crashes) and are looking for any clues we can find. If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:

• Which platform and branch are you playing on? (steam/epic, default/experimental)
  • Do you remember anything about the crash? What was going on in the game when it happened? 
  • Have you submitted feedback before? If so, can send another one from within game and say "Hey Kevin!". That will help us see what's going on in your profile.

As for file editing - all the important bits are in your profile.lua (in your %appdata%/klei/griftands directory).

To get gamemodes, add these unlocks to the acquired_unlocks table:

"ROOK_PLAYABLE",
    "SAL_BRAWL_PLAYABLE",
    "ROOK_BRAWL_PLAYABLE",
    "MUTATORS_UNLOCKED",

To unlock card packs, go to the find the unlock_data table, and give yourself a couple thousand points for each character. That should do it.

41 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'm sorry to hear that you have had save troubles. We've heard very sporadic reports of this (mostly related to crashes) and are looking for any clues we can find. If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions:

• Which platform and branch are you playing on? (steam/epic, default/experimental)
  • Do you remember anything about the crash? What was going on in the game when it happened? 
  • Have you submitted feedback before? If so, can send another one from within game and say "Hey Kevin!". That will help us see what's going on in your profile.

Hey Kevin, I was playing on the default steam branch because I was worried playing on the experimental branch might cause save errors like i just experienced. As for what was happening when it crashed I was on day 4 of the sal brawl and I believe I was in a battle or just finished it. I sent my crash report when it happened but i didn't leave a comment. I'll send another in game so you can identify the problem and fix your great game :) keep up the great work guys.

Looking through my app data I discovered that upon crashing, steam made a new save folder that replaced all my old save data.

==============================================================================================

HOW TO FIX

After finding out that I was able to copy all my old save data and place it in the steam-765etc. folder giving me back all my progress I lost.

thank you for the help Kevin. 

image.thumb.png.41cfe6d12407faf7214b32fd1cb49986.png

• Developer

Wooooooah. Ok. This is a good clue. It seems like you were sometimes logged in to steam properly, and sometimes not.

I have more questions!

• Were you playing in steam offline mode previously? 
  • How do you usually start the game? Do you click on the exe directly, or do you use the steam interface?
  • Do you have multiple steam accounts set up on your machine?

Oh! And also, if you have the log.txt from the old location, would you mind sending it our way? It will have details of the specific crash that happened when the directory changed.

Archived