does a ds player have an advantage over a literate newbie playing dst for the first time?

does a ds player have an advantage over a literate newbie playing dst for the first time?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. which is more useful in keeping a first-time player alive to winter?

• playing ds(with expansions) for more than 50 hours
    • reading the wiki
    • both are about the same on their own
    • neither are that useful
    • i've never thought about this before
    • i have been playing so long that i forgot what it was like to be a newbie

You know what one of the problems is?  One of DST's own selling points--that it comes with a free extra copy.  This means that for a lot of people, their friend/relative's spare copy of DST WAS their first experience with the franchise!  I think that happens a lot, actually.  Probably a lot of the newbs we see around on public servers are that newbish because their friend was like "Hey, take this, and then we can play together!"

Which means that for a good number of people, DST is 100% _cheaper_ than regular Don't Starve, because they can get it for FREE.  I mean, that's how my brother got introduced to the Constant, after all.  (He also got an unconventional introduction, 'cos he first played in one of my worlds that already had mods enabled.  Whoops. I had to say things like "Careful you don't dig up the baby apple tree!"*)

DS, on the other hand, _always_ costs (SOMEbody) money.  Perhaps only a few bucks if you catch it during a good sale, but something is always 100% more than nothing.  : P

So in addition to being more popular just because it's social, DST is more likely to be played _at all_ in the first place, because sometimes free...

Well, _I_ still like you, regular DS.  Everyone pays more attention to your popular little sister DST, but that doesn't mean you aren't cool too.

...Notorious

*"Birds and Berries and Trees and Flowers with Friends", in case anyone's wondering _how_ I planted a baby apple tree.

6 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

snip

well, that isn't really relevant to the original question but it is a good point and i have never actually thought about that despite literally thinking about who to give my free copy to just yesterday. dang

Archived