Need help creating follower/companion!

Hello!

I'm a semi-new modder and I've gotten pretty good at it, having made do with creating two functional character mods with custom perks and items so far. I think it's been a little over a week, though, so I'm no expert. So, on that note, I'd like some help with figuring out a project I want to work on.

I want to create a follower for one of my modded characters-- kind of like abigail, I want her to spawn with an item that can be used to summon the follower. I've looked into a few turorials/templates etc. and I've looked into the official game scripts for abigail and bernie, but my problem is that I can't seem to figure out which files/lines of code are necessary and which ones I can get rid of in favor of customizing and simplifying the follower I want to make. I also can't seem to figure out where to put the files inside my mod's folder so that it's included with just that character and still works properly. Any advice would be appreciated!

First, you'll need the "follower" component for the actual follower.

Then you'll need a leader. The player is a leader by default, but if you want them to follow the item over the player (like chester), you'll need to add the "leader" component to the item.

Once you do that, just bind the follower to a leader.

Here's an example.

local follower = ...
local leader = ...

follower:AddComponent("follower")

if leader.components.leader == nil then
	leader:AddComponent("leader")
end

follower.components.follower:SetLeader(leader)

17 hours ago, penguin0616 said:

First, you'll need the "follower" component for the actual follower.

Then you'll need a leader. The player is a leader by default, but if you want them to follow the item over the player (like chester), you'll need to add the "leader" component to the item.

Once you do that, just bind the follower to a leader.

Here's an example.

local follower = ...
local leader = ...

follower:AddComponent("follower")

if leader.components.leader == nil then
	leader:AddComponent("leader")
end

follower.components.follower:SetLeader(leader)

Ooh, thank you! Would I put this in the follower.lua file under the master.postinit, or...? And then if the player is leader by default I shouldn't need to use the tag for the character I'm attaching the follower to, right?

I don't know what you mean by "under master.postinit".

I'm assuming you're making your own follower, and I am now assuming this follower is following the player. Because of that, you'll want to add the follower component during construction and you don't have to worry about adding the leader component.

Since the leader is a player, you can just "prefab.components.follower:SetLeader(GetPlayer())".

On 6/17/2020 at 10:19 PM, penguin0616 said:

I don't know what you mean by "under master.postinit".

I'm assuming you're making your own follower, and I am now assuming this follower is following the player. Because of that, you'll want to add the follower component during construction and you don't have to worry about adding the leader component.

Since the leader is a player, you can just "prefab.components.follower:SetLeader(GetPlayer())".

Okay cool! This isn't helpful at all to my project, but thank you!! I'll try to use this where I uh, where I can. If I figure out anything else.

Archived