Help with thimble reed / germ overload.

So, I've recently started playing ONI again after a while, and I've run into an issue as I've tapped into a Pwater vent, in that it seems that the Pwater put into my thimble reeds and arbor trees are resulting in hundreds of millions of germs to be over their surfaces, which is transferring to dupes, leading to food poisoning overloads across my base a few tries on resets.  I've managed to get it / somewhat / under control by putting sinks basically everywhere to try to limit the damage to my food supply, but any time my farmers get back from my thimble reed and arbor trees, they have hundreds of millions of germs on them, leading them to sit at sinks until they pass out or are hungry enough not to care, which then results in heavy disinfecting shortly thereafter.  (to say nothing about the fact they make a mess)

A3F020132C5EEEA73DC18158E93C3057AD6237D5

Does anyone have any idea how to mitigate this?  Or should I just give up on domesticated reed and arbor trees?

You are probably using the polluted water from the dupes bathroom. Those are filled with germs which i guess pass on the plants (i never used germy water as resource). The solution is to find another source of polluted water while you decontaminate your polluted water from germs. I use this setup to decontaminate water from germs

db0287a316.jpg

The whole room has around 1500 g of chlorine, it takes less than 1 cycle to decontaminate all the water. You can use the same setup for polluted water. The trick is to make the water flow all the times as water inside pipes don't lose germs. If you don't have access to plastic (which is needed for the liquid germ sensor), you could use a normal water reserve with a clock and open it only when the water is germ free.

do you use composters or no? it looks like the germs are coming from your dupes handling the arbor trees which if they use composted dirt with germs on it it transfers to the plants. Germs do not transfer from water to plants consuming water. I use germy water on my plants all the time, but i also never use composters anymore because if one plant uses dirt they dupes will eventually use the germy dirt.

I'm running Pwater directly from a Pwater vent with food poisoning germs.  I thought that it wouldn't infect my dupes, but it appears that when they harvest thimble reed, they pick up germs from it.  It doesn't appear to be happening from the arbor trees.   So yeah.  

Hoped I could run Pwater straight from the vent without having to disinfect it with a chlorine room so I could get things up and running right away, (running it to both some plants and then to be turned into regular water to run an electrolyzer and my bathroom)  but I suppose I don't have that luxury?

i literally run my toilet water into my reed farm from the moment i set up plumbed bathrooms to catch overflow. No germs in 1500 cycles. It had to be from an external source and then grow on the plants after.
Edit: Forgot my bristle blossoms and pincha peppernuts also have food poisoning water being sent to them and no germs on the plants either.

Untitled.jpg

Archived