Despawning mobs

Mobs that appear out of thin air somwhere off-screen and later despawn off-screen. 

What do you think about them?

Would you like more of them in dst for whatever reason be it biome variety, atmosphere or gameplay.

Most of land mobs don't despawn and need a spawning source be it a structure or another mob. But majority of ocean mobs do spawn and despawn off-screen

I don't think too many of those type of mobs should exist in dst. 

I like how some mobs can go extinct if you kill too many of them (beefalo, volt goats, etc) and it would be really weird for something like volt goats to just pop out of no where. 

Also, knowing where specific mobs are is also a cool part of dst. You know which savanna has the biggest beefalo herd, you know which savanna you could go to fend off hound waves, stuff like that. 

The reason ocean creatures are fine spawning like that is because they are kinda... Useless? They don't have any unique drops, and if they do have a unique drop it is somewhat useless as of now. You never go hunting the squids for their drops, because it is not worth the trouble. There are better sources of monster meat and lightbulbs.

As for biome variety and atmosphere, yes! I'd love more mobs to exist in different biomes to liven things up, but I think they should be semi useful in at least some rare situations. Kinda like rabbits. Other than prestihatitator, you don't really use them for anything and they aren't really a good source of food. But there will always be that one time you need a quick meatball, and they are a good "side source" of meat that is great for newer players and in servers. 

Archived