Game improvement for how items are considered for stacking

I'm not sure how to really title this idea, but my idea stems from an issue that i'm noticing that comes into play normally in late game. I do appologize in advance if my idea is a bit confusing, but i'll provide an example of current vs my new idea.

Dupes tend to supply items in small amounts (generally) and making tasks take way longer than they should to complete.

So my idea would require a small rework to the game that would allow items to still transfer heat based on what they were before they stacked, but would allow supplying tasks to be completed way faster. What would need to happen is that items would be required to have a container for their type that the dupes would see as a stack of X material. 

Example Scenario

Current Behavior

You want to build a bunker door. You have one dupe that can supply 500 kg materials.

You have steel in a storage bin of the following:

• 1 steel material weighing 20 kg at 100 degrees F
  • 1 steel material weighing 100 kg at 50 degrees F
  • 1 steel material weighing 120 kg at 55 degrees F
  • 1 steel material weighing 80 kg at 90 degrees F
  • 1 steel material weighing 80 kg at 92 degrees F
  • 1 steel material weighing 40 kg at 56 degrees F
  • 1 steel material weighing 40 kg at 101 degrees F
  • 1 steel material weighing 200 kg at 66 degrees F

Dupe sees a task of grabbing and supplying materials. So they stop at the storage bin to pick up steel. They take time picking up each portion up to 500 separately as they are considered different items by the game (so heat physics are not broken), taking a while to do. Then they get to their task and deliver each item separately as described before.

My Idea Behavior

You want to build a bunker door. You have one dupe that can supply 500 kg materials.

You have steel in a storage bin of the following:

• 1 steel material weighing 200 kg at 66 degrees F

Dupe sees a task of grabbing and supplying materials. So they stop at the storage bin to pick up steel. They take the time to pick up a portion of the steel stored in the bin that contains the first 500 kg of materials from the bin since that is the first 500 contained within the steel material stack container which contains the following:

• 1 steel material weighing 20 kg at 66 degrees F

They then get to their task and deliver the steel stack container as above in one single supply.

This also would work for items on the ground not just storage bins to clarify (i just used a bin for simplicity sake).

Archived