What to do when new strings are added into the game?

Sometimes, Don't Starve Together can come up with new items, and so new strings on the character's speech files are created.

And because of that, it's possible that the speech files I created may be outdated from time to time. And when I try to manually input those strings into my mod's speech file, the speech file becomes broken and defaults back to Wilson's.

So, I'd like to know if there's a way I can catch those new strings and insert them into my speech file without breaking it! If it is possible.

Only by adding them properly by hand, I'm afraid. I use Beyond Compare 4 to show me all the differences in all the files of the game, whenever there's an update (I always keep a copy of the game files from when I last "did the rounds" updating my mods, so I can check differences against how the files were when last I coded). It has been an absolute godsend in more cases than I can count.

• Thanks 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:41 PM, Ultroman said:

Only by adding them properly by hand, I'm afraid. I use Beyond Compare 4 to show me all the differences in all the files of the game, whenever there's an update (I always keep a copy of the game files from when I last "did the rounds" updating my mods, so I can check differences against how the files were when last I coded). It has been an absolute godsend in more cases than I can count.

I wonder why I never thought about a text file comparing program! I did look into Beyond Compare, but it does have a paid license, and I really cannot afford that since I'm saving for other, more important licenses I require. In my search, however, I learned about a plugin in Notepad ++ that compares other files! I don't think I'd ever look up something like it without your comment here, so thanks for shining a light here! I was actually at a loss of what to do and was kinda becoming unhopeful of continuing my speech file, lol! Thanks for the help! May you have a wonderful rest of your day!

You're very welcome :) There are many tool like this. Beyond Compare lets you use it for 30 days, but it only counts days where you actually open it, so I've been on free license for 2 years, just using it 1-2 days at a time when I'm updating mods. Gonna buy it soon, though. Running out :) And I like it better than its competitors XDiff and the Notepad++ plugin. But then, I do complicated merges sometimes, which Beyond Compare does very well, even three-way merges! But if you just need it for the purposes of checking diffs, you can use just about any of these programs.