Closest material disposed

image.thumb.png.26e19cccff39b27b8242c89220f6cf70.png

I think the be a good thing if in the Raw material, a source there is an option of "closest" basically the will choose the closest available material no mere what kind. this will make buildings faster on the other hand. well, you not chose the material of building of course.

Good idea, but it but could be dangerous. Depending on how the code determines closest available resources, it may still choose something you don’t want.

A less automatic way than having a “use closest material” option would be to have a “provide resource count for area” option. Clicking on that button would allow us to select an area (just like sweeping or deconstructing). Once the area is selected, the counts of available resources in the build menu change to ONLY that area (including storage bins, etc). To go back to world counts, just scroll back over and click the same option to cancel. I can make up some screenshot examples later if anyone is interested.

43 minutes ago, yoakenashi said:

Good idea, but it but could be dangerous. Depending on how the code determines closest available resources, it may still choose something you don’t want.

A less automatic way than having a “use closest material” option would be to have a “provide resource count for area” option. Clicking on that button would allow us to select an area (just like sweeping or deconstructing). Once the area is selected, the counts of available resources in the build menu change to ONLY that area (including storage bins, etc). To go back to world counts, just scroll back over and click the same option to cancel. I can make up some screenshot examples later if anyone is interested.

actually I think this already happening, ok, if you want to build something and choose iron, the object will search for the closes source of iron, so it will send a message. to dupe, dupe it will use their path maker algorithm to find the shortest way available. and bring it. (im guessing this code.)

anyway, the only change will be that instead to choose a specific resource they will choose anyone of all available. the other hand of it is if you are holding gold for example maybe they will use it without your notice.

3 hours ago, augustinoi said:

actually I think this already happening

Not exactly. The duplicants in any situation, even yours, would still use the closest resources available.

In my suggestion, I’m asking the game “how many resources do I have in a given area?”. I could drawn an area 1x1, 3x6, or the size of a tunnel or area I just dig out. Maybe I’ll have enough resources of two types, then I can make a better choice.

You are simply saying to choose the material whose required quantity is the closest. In other words, the material whose quantity is met with an increasing area centered on the build.

The game’s “nearby” calculations aren’t the best, so I’d prefer to tell it where to look.

Archived