Multiple dedicated servers with different mods?

I want to start up a new dedicated server from the one I already run, but with different mods.

My current setup:
Each mod is added with ServerModSetup in
C:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods\dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua

Each mod is added to modoverrides.lua in
<cluster root>\<shard location>\modoverrides.lua

I would like some clarification regarding distinction between these files. 
Is the following correct?

Any mods I would like to use on any of my servers are loaded in dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua with ServerModSetup and then enabled for specific clusters or shards in their modoverrides.lua?

@Zillvr I noticed you were helping people a lot in 

Could you confirm whether my understanding is correct?
Thanks!

@L. Ringmaster Yes, afaik you've got the distinction right. 

• dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua - downloads mods to the mod folder (C:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\mods\)
  • modoverrides.lua - enables whichever mods you want for the server folder it's in.

Just make sure your lua files are in the correct locations and when you start up your .bat (batch file), that it doesn't overwrite the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua with a blank .lua file. Also, no matter how many different mods you've listed in your dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua, ONLY mods that are LISTED in your modoverrides.lua will function.

Lastly, if you have any mods that affect WORLD GENERATION, you would have to reset the world via c_reset() for any WORLD GENERATION mod to take effect. Otherwise you'll be in a default world, if the world was already generated BEFORE you've installed and applied the mod.

12 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Just make sure your lua files are in the correct locations and when you start up your .bat (batch file), that it doesn't overwrite the dedicated_server_mods_setup.lua with a blank .lua file.

In order to prevent that from happening I just removed the 'validate' step from the batch script, as I found that was what was replacing the file.

Is this what you meant?

@L. Ringmaster Yes, IIRC the default syntax for the batch file includes a "validate" command which resets all the game files for the dedicated server program within SteamCMD. But don't forget to reenter the validate command when new versions of the game client and game server are released.

Mismatched client and server game versions' will not let them see each other.

Unless some changes were made that makes the information I just mentioned incorrect, but AFAIK it still applies.

Disclaimer: I have not personally maintained any DST servers as of late.

Archived