Hosting and Offline Play

So, I've been thinking a lot about how it works to host a game in DST. When you make a server you don't really host the game, right? I mean it's not using your computers resources to run, it's using Kleis Servers, right? When you create a game you can add caves and it says "This requires running multiple servers at the same time. Is your computer up to the task?", so how's that exactly? The second part of this topic is about Dedicated Server and Offline Play. (I know it's the dumbest part of the topic) If Klei decides to shut down their servers for good or the servers are simply down, will I still be able to run a Dedicated Server from my computer and  play the game with my friends Online or Offline through LAN?

• Developer

No, when you host a game it really hosts the game on your computer, everyone has to talk to the server using your internet (so you need 10x as much bandwidth for a 10 player server as you would to play on someone else's server). It uses your CPU to sim everyone's experience, etc.

• Developer

Klei servers handle maintaining skin inventories, the lobby listings page, and authentication (proving that a user is who they say they are).

Basically, everything that's different between online mode and offline mode is because a Klei service of some kind is needed. Offline mode works offline precisely because it doesn't need any Klei services.

Archived