Modding problems that involve birds

Hi all, haven't done a whole lot of coding for a while, but I'm trying to add owls to my Moar Birb mod, as someone requested

I was thinking of setting up the owls similarly to buzzards, with a corresponding spawner, but I would like the spawner to work more like the birdspawner, or at the very least not have any shadows.

here are the files, obviously the anim files don't exist yet, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track:

owl.lua

owlspawner.lua

Edited by MF99K

so it looks like the issue I thought was related to the mod is not in fact related, and was likely due to another mod that was enabled.

now the issue is trying to change how the makebird arrays are set up and idk how to do that

ALWAYS make and test your mod without other mods on, and on a separate world from where you normally play. But I guess you've already learned that :)

So, what do you have now? Newest code. What are you trying to do exactly? What is working? What is not working? Remember, we don't know anything that you haven't written here, and even then, we might not understand it the way you do. Specificity is golden when discussing code ;)

19 hours ago, Ultroman said:

ALWAYS make and test your mod without other mods on, and on a separate world from where you normally play. But I guess you've already learned that :)

So, what do you have now? Newest code. What are you trying to do exactly? What is working? What is not working? Remember, we don't know anything that you haven't written here, and even then, we might not understand it the way you do. Specificity is golden when discussing code ;)

turned out it actually was the mod I was trying to fix, but somehow the error remained present even after I disabled the mod. Took me a few hours to figure out but basically they added a new line of code to the birdbrain file that lead to an incompatibility with the mod, but since the error was getting sent from the birdbrain file and not from the mod file, I had trouble diagnosing the issue.

at this point I'm more wondering the first thing i asked, about if the files i had made for the owl and owl spawner would function like the buzzard spawner but at night and with no shadows

Why not copy the birdspawner component, rename it, change the bird prefabs it can spawn, flip the checks for whether it is night, and add that component to the world? The birdspawner component is much simpler, has no shadows, and seems to function exactly as one would want. It is also written, structured and commented nicely, so it should be easy to remove the features you don't want, and make it work exactly as you want.