Slicksters seem to die off in the wild often, am I just unlucky?

It seems like slicksters are just plain unable to survive naturally in the asteroid. It's always either too cold and they die off fast, or just hot enough and they breed longhairs, or they decide it's okay to just stay in their own waste for long enough to drown.

Does anyone see slicksters survive naturally a while? I feel like they shouldn't require player intervention so much to survive wild, but maybe I've just been getting unlucky with them and my oil biomes.

Are these slicksters you're printing, or ones found in the oil biome?

If you're printing them, then them dying off or breeding useless longhairs is normal.  You need to put them in a ranch that's above 60 C if you want to raise them yourself.

I don't usually see mine dying off in the oil biome though.  There usually are four to six of them floating around after I've fully explored the place.  A few do die off due to biome breaches during world generation, but that isn't usually most of them.

2 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

Are these slicksters you're printing, or ones found in the oil biome?

If you're printing them, then them dying off or breeding useless longhairs is normal.  You need to put them in a ranch that's above 60 C if you want to raise them yourself.

I don't usually see mine dying off in the oil biome though.  There usually are four to six of them floating around after I've fully explored the place.  A few do die off due to biome breaches during world generation, but that isn't usually most of them.

Both. I keep getting oil biomes that are a tad on the cold side, and so slicksters don't exactly do well, but even when they're a good temperature, the things have a tendency to drown after they get their crude wedged in a 1-tile high trench and decide to take a swim.

Archived