Managing server after successfully hosting

So I hosted a server on DO using this guide https://pastebin.com/XqNnqYLJ

Everything is a success so far.

Now I try to run the server using the screen command, so I can get it to run when I get off Putty, but it asks me for a cluster token. I believe it's creating a new server folder that's different from the one I am already using. I am not sure how to let to point towards a specific folder.

I am also not sure how to get the server to auto start in background mode nor how to update the game if it needs to.

My first guess would be that because screen is using a virtual user to keep stuff running, even if you are logged out, it might've used it's own home directory (on Linux distributions that I'm not used to). Instead of "~" try using the absolute directory. (Usually "/home/<your User>/").

For automaticially running stuff on linux the one and only way is to use cron. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first, but it's actually rater simple. For example just enter "crontab -e" in the command line, and add this line to start your server at exactly 6 o Clock in the morning every day. (Just modify the command as you need.)

0 6 * * * screen -s sh ~/run_dedicated_servers.sh

Looking at the guide it seems like the "check for update and if available update function" is already included in the launch script.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, Daniel86268 said:

My first guess would be that because screen is using a virtual user to keep stuff running, even if you are logged out, it might've used it's own home directory (on Linux distributions that I'm not used to). Instead of "~" try using the absolute directory. (Usually "/home/<your User>/").

For automaticially running stuff on linux the one and only way is to use cron. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first, but it's actually rater simple. For example just enter "crontab -e" in the command line, and add this line to start your server at exactly 6 o Clock in the morning every day. (Just modify the command as you need.)

0 6 * * * screen -s sh ~/run_dedicated_servers.sh

Looking at the guide it seems like the "check for update and if available update function" is already included in the launch script.

Thanks for the reply.

So for the new update, I tried changing the command in the script to just update and validate the game however it says that the game is up to date yet my server still shows the old version and hence it doesn't show up in the server browser. I modified the command the removed the first part where it creates the directory since this is going to reset my mods.

EDIT: Figured out what was wrong. I needed the force install directory part. I ended up editing the script to back up and restore the mods lua file and now it updated smoothly :)

Archived