Getting text input from player and saving it

Is there a simple command I can use to initiate text input and save that input as a string variable? I would assume there must be something like that natively for chat and wood signs. When I looked those up in the script files it seems there isn't a single simple command but a large collection of sub commands and class structures and I'm not sure how to integrate those into a simple mod that just needs to be able to save some user input.

Text is a hard thing to manage.

Different font sizes/styles and spacing, languages, etc.  Then Unicode character lengths versus actual byte lengths.  Hence the huge amount of underlying systems in play.

I'd recommend delving into the madness that is how the signs work with the writable component to see how it all works fundamentally.

It'd be the most straight forward method I'd think to having an in-game text input that is networked to the server.

If the text isn't networked or anything, then you may want to look at how the console input box is handled and see if that's any more simple than the sign.