Surviving the Winter

Ok I have played this game way too much, this is a great idea and a great system I have recommended it to all my friends who also have enjoyed it so far.With that in mind, how are we supposed to survive the winter? I can kill spiders in the new update without much trouble, so I can get the silk. I can make traps and boomerangs to get morsels.Morsels and monster meat make meatballs I guess, but that's a lot of morsels to live on for 20 days.Carrots don't respawn so they aren't an answer. Seeds I guess can work but you need what 20 of them to fill you up, and I never have that many.Pigs if you find them will last you for a day or so depending on how many, but they don't respawn very quickly now at all.I cant kill beefalo safely now unless I waste a bunch of meat on pigs which is a premium.Farm plots don't work in winter, berries don't work in winter, bees don't work in winter, and with the mosquitos I don't know how to fish and make a profit because I end up taking damage from the mosquitos about equal to what I get from the fish and it hardly fills you up anyhow.Perhaps saving up vegetables would be possible but by day 20 I cant reliably have a stack of 40 berries or carrots or whatever, maybe by day 40 but not 20 or at least I haven't been so good not when I have to get the winter hat and everything else you need to setup for winter.Anyhow for you experts out there what are some good strategies for surviving the winter with nothing growing?

Ok I have played this game way too much, this is a great idea and a great system I have recommended it to all my friends who also have enjoyed it so far.With that in mind, how are we supposed to survive the winter? I can kill spiders in the new update without much trouble, so I can get the silk. I can make traps and boomerangs to get morsels.Morsels and monster meat make meatballs I guess, but that's a lot of morsels to live on for 20 days.Carrots don't respawn so they aren't an answer. Seeds I guess can work but you need what 20 of them to fill you up, and I never have that many.Pigs if you find them will last you for a day or so depending on how many, but they don't respawn very quickly now at all.I cant kill beefalo safely now unless I waste a bunch of meat on pigs which is a premium.Farm plots don't work in winter, berries don't work in winter, bees don't work in winter, and with the mosquitos I don't know how to fish and make a profit because I end up taking damage from the mosquitos about equal to what I get from the fish and it hardly fills you up anyhow.Perhaps saving up vegetables would be possible but by day 20 I cant reliably have a stack of 40 berries or carrots or whatever, maybe by day 40 but not 20 or at least I haven't been so good not when I have to get the winter hat and everything else you need to setup for winter.Anyhow for you experts out there what are some good strategies for surviving the winter with nothing growing?

Save up a bunch of food for winter, and use it while you kill birds and rabbits.

First winter isn't hard. You shouldn't need to stockpile anything at all. I don't know about second or thirds. I'm in adventure mode and my goal is to move on before the second winter (on world 2 and can move on to world 3 whenever. Just waiting for the end of summer before I move on). Berries do seem to work in winter. At l east I know I have picked them, and I believe I have picked the same bush twice. Carrots are good and I didn't eat any during summer so I had a lot on the map still. Hire pigs with monster meat - kill some spiders, hire a few pigs, kill more spiders, have more meat than you know what to do with, hire all the pigs, kill a beefalo hord. This hasn't worked on world 2 because there are virtually no pigs (maybe 10 scattered across my entire map). Also slowly turning your pig army into werepigs and having the rest attack them one by one will generally yield two meat per pig.And finally, eat the morsels straight - cook them but don't use the crock pot. Rabbits and birds should be more than enough. Just camp out in a rabbit field if you really feel the need to be supplied. I'm sure winters get progressively harder (just like hounds) but the first winter in the world is fairly easy. You shouldn't even need to camp. I like carrying bee bombs with me for hounds. I generally have 2-3 with me. Always keep a miner hat with you.Again because I'm not (yet) trying to survive 2+ winters in the same world I don't feel bad about picking flowers. That is the easiest way to restore sanity (which can become a problem especially in adventure worlds where wormholes are the only way to get between islands) short have having pigs sleep by the fire with you (in a top hat/flower garland/etc).