A Seafarer’s Notes: Return of Them Documentation

Edit: I made a new version of this. Let this one die.

In this thread, I’m going to document what I’ve found about the Return of Them beta. Feel free to add your own contributions. 

I’m not limiting myself to seafaring-related documentation. Seems like the main feature of the update, though.

Boats:

These are not your grandmas Shipwrecked boats, no siree! These are much cooler. These are bona-fide floating platforms, about 1 turf in radius. They can move, and they have momentum. Multiple players can work together for easier piloting of the ship, but one is possible. Everything I’ve tested can be placed on these boats, so long as they fit and the boat is in a good mood. Sometimes it doesn’t like you.

New Nautical Tab:

Spoiler

Note: These items are all made at the Think Tank, a structure in the science tab that costs 4 Boards. Requires Science Machine.

Boat kit: 4 Boards. 

Right-Click in water to deploy a boat. Has 200 HP, which seem... not to be recoverable? After taken an unknown and seemingly somewhat random amount of damage, boats spring leaks, causing damage over time. Damaged by crashing into land.

Oar: 2 Logs.

Allows player to give an (unanchored) boat a push. Attempting to use too quickly (I.e. animation canceling) will splash the player and result in a message. 500 Uses. Amusingly, you can row continents, though to no avail.

Anchor Kit: 2 Boards, 1 Rope, 1 Stone.

Place on a boat. Prevents the boat from moving while active. Takes about three second to toggle. Due to a bug, it’s actions are labeled “Lover Anchor Anchor” and “Raise Anchor Anchor”.

Mast: 4 Boards, 2 Rope, 4 Silk.

Pushes boat in the direction it is facing. Can be enabled and disabled with an action.

Steering Wheel Kit: 2 Boards, 1 Rope.

Click to enter or exit steering mode. While in steering mode, clicking controls the mast direction, somehow. The correlation between click location and turn directionis confusing at best, leading me to discover the use for the next item.

Boat Patch: 1 Board, 2 Stingers.

Place on a leak to patch it. Once placed, renders on the boat surface, but permits objects to be placed upon it. Does NOT restore boat HP.

Anchor Figure Sketch: 1 Papyrus.

Is a sketch. Of an anchor. Like, for the Potter’s Wheel. The statue costs to stone along with the normal sculpture stuff.

Mob(s?):

SpoilerPuffin: 50 HP

Like a normal bird, but can land in water and is adorable. When landing in water, it becomes wet. Can drop seeds.

Items:

Spoiler

Kelp Fronds: Can be eaten for +10 hunger, -10 sanity, -3 health

Cooked Kelp: Can be eaten for +10 hunger, -5 sanity

Seawreath: 12 Kelp. Constantly drains sanity, with no other use. Rots over time. Vanishes whe dropped, presumably due to a bug

Driftwood: Found in the sea. Burns. Not used in crafting, or at least isn’t yet.

Objects:

Spoiler

Sea Stack: Spawns in large empty patches of water to damage your boat. Can not be mined or interacted with, and I want credit for testing that because you have to get *really* close to things to use them but you bounce if you collide.

Leak: Damages a boat over time. Spawns when a boat runs into land or a sea stack. Continuing to collide will “upgrade” the leak. Can be destroyed with a boat patch.

Boat Fragments: Spawns alongside Boards when a boat capsizes, or found in special aquatic set pieces. Has no use and is frustratingly difficult to destroy. Doesn’t become wet, despite being in water. Can only be removed by flame.

Shoals: Cannot be inspected, interacted or fished. Purely cosmetic. 

Spoiler
12 minutes ago, The 2C3D said:

In this thread, I’m going to document what I’ve found about the Return of Them beta. Feel free to add your own contributions. 

I’m not limiting myself to seafaring-related documentation. Seems like the main feature of the update, though.

Boats:

These are not your grandmas Shipwrecked boats, no siree! These are much cooler. These are bona-fide floating platforms, about 1 turf in radius. They can move, and they have momentum. Multiple players can work together for easier piloting of the ship, but one is possible. Everything I’ve tested can be placed on these boats, so long as they fit and the boat is in a good mood. Sometimes it doesn’t like you.

New Nautical Tab:

Reveal hidden contents

Note: These items are all made at the Think Tank, a structure in the science tab that costs 4 Boards. Requires Science Machine.

Boat kit: 4 Boards. 

Right-Click in water to deploy a boat. Has 200 HP, which seem... not to be recoverable? After taken an unknown and seemingly somewhat random amount of damage, boats spring leaks, causing damage over time. Damaged by crashing into land.

Oar: 2 Logs.

Allows player to give an (unanchored) boat a push. Attempting to use too quickly (I.e. animation canceling) will splash the player and result in a message. 500 Uses. Amusingly, you can row continents, though to no avail.

Anchor Kit: 2 Boards, 1 Rope, 1 Stone.

Place on a boat. Prevents the boat from moving while active. Takes about three second to toggle. Due to a bug, it’s actions are labeled “Lover Anchor Anchor” and “Raise Anchor Anchor”.

Mast: 4 Boards, 2 Rope, 4 Silk.

Pushes boat in the direction it is facing. Can be enabled and disabled with an action.

Steering Wheel Kit: 2 Boards, 1 Rope.

Click to enter or exit steering mode. While in steering mode, clicking controls the mast direction, somehow. The correlation between click location and turn directionis confusing at best, leading me to discover the use for the next item.

Boat Patch: 1 Board, 2 Stingers.

Place on a leak to patch it. Once placed, renders on the boat surface, but permits objects to be placed upon it. Does NOT restore boat HP.

Anchor Figure Sketch: 1 Papyrus.

Is a sketch. Of an anchor. Like, for the Potter’s Wheel. The statue costs to stone along with the normal sculpture stuff.

Mob(s?):

Reveal hidden contents

Like a normal bird, but can land in water and is adorable. When landing in water, it becomes wet. Can drop seeds.

Items:

Reveal hidden contents

Kelp Fronds: Can be eaten for +10 hunger, -10 sanity, -3 health

Cooked Kelp: Can be eaten for +10 hunger, -5 sanity

Seawreath: 12 Kelp. Constantly drains sanity, with no other use. Rots over time. Vanishes whe dropped, presumably due to a bug

Driftwood: Found in the sea. Burns. Not used in crafting, or at least isn’t yet.

Objects:

Reveal hidden contents

Sea Stack: Spawns in large empty patches of water to damage your boat. Can not be mined or interacted with, and I want credit for testing that because you have to get *really* close to things to use them but you bounce if you collide.

Leak: Damages a boat over time. Spawns when a boat runs into land or a sea stack. Continuing to collide will “upgrade” the leak. Can be destroyed with a boat patch.

Boat Fragments: Spawns alongside Boards when a boat capsizes, or found in special aquatic set pieces. Has no use and is frustratingly difficult to destroy. Doesn’t become wet, despite being in water. Can only be removed by flame.

Shoals: Cannot be inspected, interacted or fished. Purely cosmetic. 

there is a thread for the update.

7 minutes ago, jantonio said:
  Reveal hidden contents

there is a thread for the update.

Try’na document it all, surely this is too small a topic for its own thread. /s

Also, the announcement thread seems to be taking the shape of a discussion. I’m not discussing so much as I’m documenting

Archived