killing germs in water

Hi guys !

i just stumbled on something i didn't really expect : so i was setting up my plumbing when i though that rather than use a tepsidizer, i can just heat the water by using the heat generated by the metal refinery and store that in a liquid reservoir until the germs die off.

so it went just fine, except that i had placed said liquid reservoir outside of my main base (because heat) in an area that happens to be full of chlorine gas. and turns out that chlorine does kill the germs in the water when it's stored as an item, which...is very weird.

i mean, if i instead choose to dump the water in an open pool, the chlorine wouldn't had any effect if i remember correctly. So that seems to me like a big exploit which renders the whole liquid tepsidizer / aquatuner kind of useless (at least given the point i'm at in this game)

also aren't airborne food poisoning germs a bit too weak ? i tried to just run toilet water in a sieve to "unpollute it" and then send it direcly into the electrolyzer, let that run for a few cycles and... nothing. are you really supposed to make your oxygen with toilet water ? gross !

Food posioning doesn`t infect through air and dies very fast in it. Generally it`s hard to get infected that way. Slimelung does nothing when consumed with food on the other hand. Each has it`s own way to infect. Even if food poisoning could infect through air the electrolizer produces air at 70oC and it would kill germs anyway.

The temptizer is still useful if you want to sterilize polluted water and use the sieve fixed output temperature to cool it back. Might be faster than using the chlorine reservoir techinque. As for aquatuners they are immensly useful when you want your water useful for sleet wheat as well as when boiling water for steam engines and later for creating liquid oxygen and stuff.

Now for the chlorine killing germs in reservoirs i personally consider it an exploit but it lead to creating multiple water cleaning designs used since the reservoirs were added. People seem to be ok with that.

Archived