nghiavt    2

I have read that 32 bit application can only use up to 4Gb of RAM. I guess this problem cause lag when you build mega base and have many player in your world. I know your developer absolutely aware about this. So why dont you build a 64 bit game to eliminate this problem. Are there difficulty in making 64 bit application?

• Like 2

Saiph    8

In theory this is easy to do but can be a nightmare in practice, so I don't think they will take the risk. This would also mean having to maintain 2 versions of the same game in 32 and 64 bit, because you don't want to force 64 bit for everyone.

That said, I agree that this game uses an abnormally high amount of memory and it becomes problematic when you want to play with mods. There are some mods on the workshop that are almost unplayable due to this and recommend to set the option "Small Textures" if you don't want crashes (Tropical Experience, Island Adventures).

Obviously I am not a game dev myself, but I would love if the devs could take a look at what consumes so much memory and see if it's not possible to optimize it. I am not sure what a 2D game does with so much memory, I am especially confused why the "Small Textures" option reduces memory usage on the CPU instead of GPU.

bizziboi    1,691
7 hours ago, Saiph said:

I am especially confused why the "Small Textures" option reduces memory usage on the CPU instead of GPU.

Because the textures that don't fit in dedicated video ram will be loaded in shared memory by the graphics driver. Small textures makes it so that a larger amount of the textures fit in the graphics card's dedicated memory.

As an aside, lag with more players would not be reduced by making the application 64 bit (except if your machine were massively swapping to disk), on the contrary, memory bandwidth usage would increase potentially making the game slower.

• Thanks 4

Saiph    8

Wow, thanks for the answer and also great news, so this means I can reduce out of memory errors by buying a video card with more VRAM ? I am actually going to try this soon. I guess GPU usage is probably also limited to 4 GB but still better than the 3 I currently have :D

I will speak for a very small minority of the community, but memory usage is a big limitation at the moment for mod users. I've lost interest in making mods myself because of it and know a few other people. Not sure whether it's worth the effort for you devs, but maybe there are some ways to solve that. For example I often find myself getting a OOM crash when jumping into a cave, but after the crash I rejoin the same server and it works, and I'm in the cave, which might indicate a memory leak.

bizziboi    1,691
Just now, Saiph said:

For example I often find myself getting a OOM crash when jumping into a cave, but after the crash I rejoin the same server and it works, and I'm in the cave, which might indicate a memory leak.

It's not a memory leak, but a memory spike. We may be able to address this, but the timeframe for it would be uncertain.

Just now, Saiph said:

Wow, thanks for the answer and also great news, so this means I can reduce out of memory errors by buying a video card with more VRAM

As far as I know, yes, although I'd expect if you have 3 already (is it dedicated memory? DxDiag would tell you) should be enough - don't quote me on this, it's gut instinct, not based on any real measurement.

• Thanks 3

Saiph    8
1 minute ago, bizziboi said:

As far as I know, yes, although I'd expect if you have 3 already (is it dedicated memory? DxDiag would tell you) should be enough - don't quote me on this, it's gut instinct, not based on any real measurement.

Yes, it is dedicated (GTX 1060 3GB). Now that you said it, I've already monitored GPU usage myself and noticed it's barely above 1GB during the execution of DST, which seems more in line with what you expect, but then I'm confused why small textures has such an effect.

Without "Small textures" memory usage regularly goes above 3.2 GB and crashes, whereas with "Small Textures" it never crashes and stays around 1.5 GB. I am using mods such as "Tropical Experience" which add a lot of assets.

I was planning ot upgrade my GPU anyway in a month, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the attention so far.

bizziboi    1,691

Hmmm, come to think of it (if I recall correctly, and a bit technical) DirectX keeps an in-memory copy of the textures in case the graphics context gets lost (because some app switched to full screen). In that case more dedicated VRAM wouldn't help. It's just that with low dedicated VRAM people run into the issue faster.

• Thanks 4

Saiph    8
On 26/06/2019 at 9:48 PM, bizziboi said:

Hmmm, come to think of it (if I recall correctly, and a bit technical) DirectX keeps an in-memory copy of the textures in case the graphics context gets lost (because some app switched to full screen). In that case more dedicated VRAM wouldn't help. It's just that with low dedicated VRAM people run into the issue faster.

I have tried with a new computer on which I have 8 GB dedicated VRAM and it didn't reduce memory consumption, it gets around 3.4 GB and crashes immediatly after starting the world. I'm playing Return of Them Beta + a few big mods ("Multi-Worlds" namely).

With Small Textures it works, and the CPU memory consumption is about 2.7 GB, which makes quite a large difference.

So I think the problem is what you describe, DirectX keeps a copy of the textures on the CPU, for whatever reason, probably in order to be able to switch from fullscreen. But in my case this is really unneeded, as I'd probably have enough memory on my GPU to store both contexts.

I don't know DirectX enough to tell, but if you'd find a way to change this behavior it would be great. I have 16 GB on my computer + 8 GB GPU and still I have to play with small textures just because I have too many mods.

Saiph    8
Posted (edited)
On 26/06/2019 at 9:48 PM, bizziboi said:

Hi Bizziboi,

Sorry to insist on this and directly messaging you, but I want to bring the topic back one last time while I have the chance.

The 4 GB memory limit is really a big annoyance for people that use mods. In the past it was fine, but now that there are a lot of content mods available it becomes very frequent to have crashes.

I would love to have a 64-bit version or some sort of memory optimization, even if you mark the release as unstable and don't support it officially.

I know there are probably much bigger priorities at the moment but can you share your stance on this ?

Edited by Saiph

bizziboi    1,691

As far as I know a 64-bit version is not really on the table as you can't really change the minspec of a game after release. We have been discussing a memory optimization though, but it's quite complicated and fairly high-risk so I can't tell when that will happen.

• Thanks 2

hypi    1
On 11.08.2019 at 8:16 PM, bizziboi said:

As far as I know a 64-bit version is not really on the table as you can't really change the minspec of a game after release. We have been discussing a memory optimization though, but it's quite complicated and fairly high-risk so I can't tell when that will happen.

Well since you can't change minspecs to say 64 bit maybe you can make dlc/optional patch that will make game 64bit? As it will resolve both problems with changing requirements and finally making 64bit build.

• Like 1