Carbon Skimmer Rework Suggestion

I believe that the Carbon Skimmer should drop chunks of Refined Carbon to compensate for deleting large amounts of mass. The reason why this would be helpful is that it'd help with steel production while also making the Carbon Skimmer live up to its name a bit more.

I really like the idea for carbon-oxygen seperation, however, if you are talking about reworking that skimmer, please consider about the scientific reason below:

The current carbon skimmer works by dissolves CO2 in water (supposed to form carbonic acid, those sour substance you can find in cola, but in the game it forms Polluted H2O). That’s the supposed to be the most simple way to remove carbon dioxide.

If you are talking about seperating carbon and oxygen, I think that would be a bit complicated.

As follows:

My suggested scientific way is using raw sodium (A very reactive metal) to remove oxygen from CO2, producing carbon and sodium oxide (NaO), and then electrolyze the sodium oxide to gain sodium back and release oxygen.

However we don’t have sodium in the game. (In real life, raw sodium is very expensive.)

But a new machine is also okay too.

I was always under the impression that the carbon skimmer uses lime to trap the CO2 producing CaCO3. Lime is currently too hard to get to be used that way but maybe they will rebalance it (lime is under consumable ore so who knows).

Even then i have to agree that the missing mass should be added to the polluted water.

13 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I was always under the impression that the carbon skimmer uses lime to trap the CO2 producing CaCO3. Lime is currently too hard to get to be used that way but maybe they will rebalance it (lime is under consumable ore so who knows).

Even then i have to agree that the missing mass should be added to the polluted water.

Scientific facts:

Calcium carbonate (CaCO3) is actually an raw material to make lime. Mineral CaCO3 includes limestone, marble and chalk. Shells and skeletons also have CaCO3 (that’s why you can obtain lime from fossils and egg shells).

Lime for steel manufacturing is quicklime (Calcium oxide, CaO). Don’t mess up with the lime of another form, i.e, slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) made by adding water to quicklime (releases lots of heat. Don’t try this at home.)

(Lime water, i.e, aqueous slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) can trap CO2 to form CaCO3. That’s what @Sasza22 is saying.)

Archived