My Overall Thoughts on The Forge

bubben16

I decided to write down some of my thoughts about this event, to give some feedback to Klei on what was and wasn't good, and how they could change it when they decide to bring the Forge back (if they do.) Now, for the first topic...

Enemies.

Old Enemies:

Out of all the old enemies, the Boarilla was the only one to get any changes, that being his roll. While the roll is kinda cool, it only really put the runner in danger, and towards the end of the Forge, most runners knew how to counter it.

None of the other old enemies got anything and I feel they should have. I understand there might not have been time for it, but I hope that for the next Forge they got some attention.

New Enemies:

Starting out, lets talk about the Rhinocebros. I think the idea of having two bosses each needing a tank and needing to be defeated at the same time was a good idea. Having a damage buff you could interrupt was good too. Not much to say, this was the best out of the two new enemies we got.

Now, the Swineclops...

The Swineclops wasn't disappointing, it just wasn't anything special. I didn't really like his armor, felt it stood out too much. His attacks were boring too, all he did was punch, with a slam here and there. Unlike the Boarrior, who gained more attacks as he got hurt, the Swineclops just did longer punch combos until he did the infinite one. If you weren't tank or Maxwell/Wickerbottom mage, most you did was just attack boss, and maybe using a special once or twice while he was doing the infinite combo. Him changing between defensive and offensive modes wasn't too special either, he was just easier to tank while in defensive. If he had some more unique attacks, maybe throwing out enemies for the other people to deal with as you tank or him summoning lava dealing AoE damage over time, it could add some more flavor to it and make it a bit more fun.

Items

The new items we're kinda cool, some had fun effects. Nothing special to say about most of the new armors. The Whispering armor was cool but really only majorly affected Webber. The sword was a great item, letting non Woodie tanks do a bit more than rapidly hitting the bosses. Molotov was fun and useful during the Snortoise round but nothing major for other rounds.

Skins

Won't talk too much here. In my opinion, the new Magmatic set wasn't really anything special. They're not bad, but also not super amazing. Nothing I would rush to get. 

Characters Abilities

While most of the characters have good abilities, Wendy needs some serious changes. Wendy's only "perk" is Abigail, and Abigail is worse than a trashcan. She deals barely no damage, and dies fast too. And then, when she's dead, you have to wait for her to respawn. You can't revive her like you can with Bernie. Now, you could say that she could be useful for an emergency tank, but Bernie would do a way better job than that. And for damage, Webbers Baby Spiders outdamage her by alot, and even more with the Whispering Grand Armor.  Personally, I think just reworking her completely would be the best choice, making her have some different effect.

Community Goals

While unlocking the new stuff was kinda fun, it felt boring unlocking the stuff from last years Forge. While I think this could work for next time, I would hope we would not have to unlock old stuff again. And for the quest system, while I do think this worked, I much more preferred the system used during last years Forge.

Next Time

For the next time, I would recommend changing older waves rather than just adding onto more waves with new enemies. Most matches I played went on for around 20 to 30 minutes each, and that already could feel long enough, especially on bosses like Swineclops with no real action. I would also hope we could for once activate the gateway and escape, a minor thing but I think it would add some flavor to the event.

Final Words

Overall, the event was fun even though it had some problems. Im excited to see what you will bring us in the future, both for DST and other games. Thanks for the event and the many more amazing things to come.

21 hours ago, bubben16 said:

I decided to write down some of my thoughts about this event, to give some feedback to Klei on what was and wasn't good, and how they could change it when they decide to bring the Forge back (if they do.) Now, for the first topic...

Enemies.

Old Enemies:

Out of all the old enemies, the Boarilla was the only one to get any changes, that being his roll. While the roll is kinda cool, it only really put the runner in danger, and towards the end of the Forge, most runners knew how to counter it.

None of the other old enemies got anything and I feel they should have. I understand there might not have been time for it, but I hope that for the next Forge they got some attention.

New Enemies:

Starting out, lets talk about the Rhinocebros. I think the idea of having two bosses each needing a tank and needing to be defeated at the same time was a good idea. Having a damage buff you could interrupt was good too. Not much to say, this was the best out of the two new enemies we got.

Now, the Swineclops...

The Swineclops wasn't disappointing, it just wasn't anything special. I didn't really like his armor, felt it stood out too much. His attacks were boring too, all he did was punch, with a slam here and there. Unlike the Boarrior, who gained more attacks as he got hurt, the Swineclops just did longer punch combos until he did the infinite one. If you weren't tank or Maxwell/Wickerbottom mage, most you did was just attack boss, and maybe using a special once or twice while he was doing the infinite combo. Him changing between defensive and offensive modes wasn't too special either, he was just easier to tank while in defensive. If he had some more unique attacks, maybe throwing out enemies for the other people to deal with as you tank or him summoning lava dealing AoE damage over time, it could add some more flavor to it and make it a bit more fun.

Items

The new items we're kinda cool, some had fun effects. Nothing special to say about most of the new armors. The Whispering armor was cool but really only majorly affected Webber. The sword was a great item, letting non Woodie tanks do a bit more than rapidly hitting the bosses. Molotov was fun and useful during the Snortoise round but nothing major for other rounds.

Skins

Won't talk too much here. In my opinion, the new Magmatic set wasn't really anything special. They're not bad, but also not super amazing. Nothing I would rush to get. 

Characters Abilities

While most of the characters have good abilities, Wendy needs some serious changes. Wendy's only "perk" is Abigail, and Abigail is worse than a trashcan. She deals barely no damage, and dies fast too. And then, when she's dead, you have to wait for her to respawn. You can't revive her like you can with Bernie. Now, you could say that she could be useful for an emergency tank, but Bernie would do a way better job than that. And for damage, Webbers Baby Spiders outdamage her by alot, and even more with the Whispering Grand Armor.  Personally, I think just reworking her completely would be the best choice, making her have some different effect.

Community Goals

While unlocking the new stuff was kinda fun, it felt boring unlocking the stuff from last years Forge. While I think this could work for next time, I would hope we would not have to unlock old stuff again. And for the quest system, while I do think this worked, I much more preferred the system used during last years Forge.

Next Time

For the next time, I would recommend changing older waves rather than just adding onto more waves with new enemies. Most matches I played went on for around 20 to 30 minutes each, and that already could feel long enough, especially on bosses like Swineclops with no real action. I would also hope we could for once activate the gateway and escape, a minor thing but I think it would add some flavor to the event.

Final Words

Overall, the event was fun even though it had some problems. Im excited to see what you will bring us in the future, both for DST and other games. Thanks for the event and the many more amazing things to come.

I agree in 100%. In my opinion 4 nothing giving challenges reseting every 2 days were a big mistake. But I liked daily match and daily win bonus :)

Archived