• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

33 Screenshots

About This File

111mglk_jpg.png

“Hero in the Dark” – Is a traditional fantasy mod This mod will incorporate traditional fantasy elements and lore while retaining the artistic style and the survive or die elements of Don’t Starve. A large focus of the lore and design of the mod will be from D&D and other games/books within the genre. Barbarians, shadow knights, druids, Necromancers etc etc

The goals of this mod are to make an alternate form of Don’t Starve, not to add on to its current game. We have added in creatures, events, more lvs, boss mobs, items, dungeons, unique leveling system, 12 playable character(not all characters are in yet)s, 100's of new recipes etc.

Here is the first version of Beta. We are still looking for more artists coders and people to help with character scripts to join our team. We need things from Characters, items, monsters, terrain etc We are currently looking for 2 to 3 artists/animators and 1 to 2 people to help with character scripting. If you are interested please send me a pm.

(Note: this is still in Beta, we are still missing some artwork and character scripts, I am not posting this to steam as of yet)

(Note: if you are using a controller, you must disable spell books. To do this, hit the configure button on the mod page inside the game and turn off spell books)

Please give feedback within this thread and bug reports here or in a PM to me. Don't forget to follow our mod and rate it!

We now have our own sub forum here

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/forum/64-mod-collaboration-hero-in-the-dark/

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/33476-mod-hero-in-the-dark/

We now have our own Wiki !

http://hero-in-the-dark.wikia.com/wiki/Hero_in_the_Dark_Wiki

What's New in Version Beta 0.03   See changelog

Released

• Beta 0.03
  • bugfixes
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Crashed at startup? T.T

Which game version? RoG active or not? Any other mods? Any particular crash log?

Note: HeroInTheDark should be in your /mods folder, not dsmods-alpha1, check directory structure. This was packed from github directly so has extra directory depth.

Note no.2: if running on old version that does not support api_version 5 (e.g. not updated since idk, february? for some reason) you can change to api_version = 4 in modinfo.lua file to get it to run. It does not require neither this year's updates nor DLC to run.

• Like 2

Which game version? RoG active or not? Any other mods? Any particular crash log?

Note: HeroInTheDark should be in your /mods folder, not dsmods-alpha1, check directory structure. This was packed from github directly so has extra directory depth.

Note no.2: if running on old version that does not support api_version 5 (e.g. not updated since idk, february? for some reason) you can change to api_version = 4 in modinfo.lua file to get it to run. It does not require neither this year's updates nor DLC to run.

Thanks for the reply first of all. Seriously appreciate it as I've been look all over to do this.

Basically when I first open the game, I go to the mod section, and it notifies me that the mod crashed on start up. (Mind you I never even played the mod, this was the first time ever being opened since moving file)

I did make that it wasn't the alpha file input to the file.

Changing the api version... What program do I open it with? Notepad?

• Like 3

Wow I love you man... I got it to work. Awesome! Awesome! Can't wait to test it out!

it's not the mod that isn't up to date with standalone, it's standalone's api version that is not up to date to steam api version. Klei refuses to update API version on standalone apparently until ROG is ready or so, which is putting us in a very frustrating situation, it's either standalone clients won't run it out of the box or steam clients complaining the api is outdated...

But like I said above, you can just extract it etc and open modinfo.lua in notepad or something, and change

api_version = 5

to

api_version = 4

and it will work fine.

I know it's a hassle, but It's honestly an issue out of our control, however we set it one part of the user base will have an issue until standalone is patched properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ummm... it says

Data failure in HeroInTheDark/bigportraits/wizard.tex . The file is corrupted.

When unzipping...

• Thanks 1

Ummm... it says

Data failure in HeroInTheDark/bigportraits/wizard.tex . The file is corrupted.

When unzipping...

did you download both files?

it's rar archive split in 2 due to klei download size limitations. Make sure you have downloaded both parts before extracting.

If it still fails, it might be your unarchiver does not support split archives (is that even possible?), in which case you might want to download something that does, most obvious choices being

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

depending on your OS, former should work with windows/linux, if you're on mac might want to get unarchiver tho winrar works too

Yes, I downloaded them 2.

No need to manually merge anything or even touch the 2nd file, just dump all files into same dir and start extract on the first, software itself will go through all archive parts and make HITD dir.

No need to manually merge anything or even touch the 2nd file, just dump all files into same dir and start extract on the first, software itself will go through all archive parts and make HITD dir.

kraken 121 I am unable to play the mod

for an error that appears when I try to extract

could you tell me how to fix this if possible ...

it's rar archive split in 2 due to klei download size limitations. Make sure you have downloaded both parts before extracting.

If it still fails, it might be your unarchiver does not support split archives (is that even possible?), in which case you might want to download something that does, most obvious choices being

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0

depending on your OS, former should work with windows/linux, if you're on mac might want to get unarchiver tho winrar works too

and here

"No need to manually merge anything or even touch the 2nd file, just dump all files into same dir and start extract on the first, software itself will go through all archive parts and make HITD dir."

@ZalgoPrime Please read thread before posting, this has already been answered twice..

It works perfectly here, but i only got 2 chars. What do i do with birds tokens?

Glad to hear its working perfectly.

We have only enabled two characters, more will be added soon.

What are bird tokens?

Bird Tokens:, when you kill a bird its drops a coin,, when  you get it says Bird Token. There are pigs in game that ask for items like Worm Token, Spider King Token, when you give the item to the pig its dissapear and give you  strange meat, i think is a quest.

Bird Tokens:, when you kill a bird its drops a coin,, when  you get it says Bird Token. There are pigs in game that ask for items like Worm Token, Spider King Token, when you give the item to the pig its dissapear and give you  strange meat, i think is a quest.

There are no bird tokens in our mod....

Can't wait for the final version....nice work, really!

Thanks, Its a long way away from a final version haha

Next update would be out already but I had my HDD break yesterday, next update should be in a day or two though.

Thanks, Its a long way away from a final version haha

Next update would be out already but I had my HDD break yesterday, next update should be in a day or two though.

I have to say so far the mod is going in the right direction mainly

the new content. Goblins are a very nice addition.

I have to say so far the mod is going in the right direction mainly

the new content. Goblins are a very nice addition.

Thanks! A lot more to come!

Thanks! A lot more to come!

I wanted to know what exactly is coming

and also I managed to find some more swords they are small

this is intentional or it is still being worked on ...