• The forum downloads section will be removed on Jan 1st 2023. Players may still download mods that are currently hosted, but new submissions are no longer being accepted. Mod makers are advised to relocate their mods to alternative hosting solutions.

Wanda, Nature's Frenemy 0.7

1 Screenshot

About This File

Public beta is now available on Steam, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=549904379

While Wanda is entirely playable in her current form, I still consider her a Work In Progress due to more features to come. The texture art has been completed, anim seems to be working correctly now, I wanted to release it as a beta to start public playtesting. Next we need custom sound (currently it's just the violin from the unimplemented character, Wallace). Speech script is half done but not yet uploaded (this beta is still Wilson), however everything below has been coded. There are more features to come in the Further Development section. So, while it is not yet complete, please give as much constructive feedback on balancing, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wanda the Druidess - "Nature is my Frenemy"

Back Story

Cursed by Porvata, Polish god of the Woods, for carving her name into a sacred tree. Wanda has a love-hate relationship with nature.

Stats

Health 160

Hunger 125, x0.83 hunger rate

Sanity 130, -1/min dapperness generally, but Sanityaura +10/min when near flowers

Starting Inventory

Lureplant Fleshy Bulb

4 Leafy Meats

Floral Shirt

Nature Scientist

Starting recipes:

- Shovel

- Pitchfork

- Basic Farm

- Nightmare Fuel

- Papyrus

- Bandage

- Honey Refining

- Manure

At Science Machine, can prototype:

- Pumpkin Light

- Improved Farm

- Bucket O Poop

- Bush Hat

At Prestihatitator,

- Magic Trowel (can transplant up to 3 cacti)

At Shadow Manipulator,

- Lureplant Summoning Scroll

Lureplant Farming

Eyeplants are not agro at Wanda

Can harvest their lure without it retracting its eyeplants and going back to "just planted" stage

Can hang leafy meat on drying racks to make leafy jerky

Ovo-lacto Pescetarian

Seafood is the only meat that her vegetative metabolism is able to manage. Anyways, she has a hard time appeasing Porvata as it is, let alone having to deal with Krampus were she to kill too many innocents. So, what she can eat is:

Vegetables, fruit, leafy meat, ice, birchnuts, seeds, eggs, electric milk, butter, honey, fish, eels and froglegs (but not any other kind of meat)

Crockpot recipes that contains the above as primary ingrediants

Raw birchnuts (-1 health, +6 hunger, -5 sanity)

Flowery Hair

Grows at a similar rate to Wilson's beard, delays overheating like a Summer Frest, when cut at half length provides 6 fresh flower petals and +30 sanity; at full length, provides 12 fresh flower petals and 1 cactus flower and +60 sanity

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Currently working on fully customising all of the speech script (some of it is still Wilson's)

I was thinking her sounds instrument could be like Da Vinci's viola organistraor a Polish Suka,

Compatible with Russian language pack

Eventually I will need images for the magic books and Magic Trowel (purple shovel) and a few other things in the Further Development, as well as sprites / anim / sound for the custom treeguards if I ever go on to do that too

What's New in Version 0.5   See changelog

Released

• Still working on the speech script, it's about halfway done.
  • Most of the code has been completed for this below "Shenaniganism" plant-naughtiness feature, and the treeguard behaviour, but I encountered a bug before I uploaded this so at the last minute I disabled it for now. This is what it's supposed to look like:
  • * Gains #Shenaniganism from cutting down any tree, digging saplings or grass
  • * Loses #Shenaniganism from planting butterflies, pinecones, birchnuts, saplings or grass
  • * When #Shenaniganism is high enough, JUST ONE poison birch tree or treeguard will be queued to spawn (depending on which biome the player is in at the time / about to pass through). AT WHICH TIME SHENANIGANISM SHOULD RESET. Unfortunately this is the bit that the code currently needs work on, as you might end up with a whole forest of treeguards chasing you at once. The widget also needs a bit of work.
  • * Trees that have already awakened as treeguards but afterwards went to sleep will wake up again as Wanda passes by, and are aggressive towards her when woken this way or if summoned by other players (bushhat enables her to hide from them?)
  • * Wanda cannot pacify Treeguards / Poison Birch Trees by planting pinecones / birchnuts near them
  • * Enable Wanda to craft and/or use Charlie the Gardener's Book of Rain to water mushrooms, farms, etc (or have her own local simulated rain downpour effect)
  • Maybe even...
  • * Scroll that transforms any tree into corresponding Treeguard, including
  • - Spikey Treeguard: more melee damage, shoots blow darts
  • - Burnt Treeguard: causes smoldering / combustion to nearby mobs / objects, shoots fire darts
  • - Aged Treeguard: brittle, pinecone minions, shoots sleep darts
  • - Totally Normal Treeguard: tough, shadow creature minions, melee like a bat bat
  • Like 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Other ideas...

Expand the use of the Magic Trowel to make Reeds, Cave Banana Tree, Ferns and Light Flowers "trowelable" (diggable)

Unique uses for glowberries (wormlight) and Lightbulbs?

Also use foliage to craft garlands (flowerhat), or fernhat with alternate art?

Increase effect of Nature Deficit Disorder (negative general dapperness) and give positive sanityaura from cave_fern and pottedfern, as well as increase positive dapperness from wearing "natural" dress / armor

ANTIFREEZE (prevents effect of Winter on farms / lureplants) crafted using Glommer poop (glommerfuel)

Thanks to Zackreaver and DarkXero for initial help with the pre-beta coding and making me feel like all my dreams for a mod character could indeed come true, to Vivalavie for doing a great job on the art (fulfilling all my exacting specifications), and especially to Maris for bringing it all together and also adding additional coding as well - you're a tireless worker, mate!

225+ subscribers on Klei (as well as 200+ on Klei forums)! Thanks so much for your support, guys. Please make sure you vote how many stars you reckon Wanda is worth up the top.  Also, subscribe on Steam as well, rate her up there, favourite her if you're really keen, and above all leave some constructive feedback in the comments. I have nearly finished the English speech script for her, and there are a couple of small tweaks I'm about to make for Russian compatibility which I will upload in beta version 0.6

Sorry the speech script took me so long, I made the mistake of writing it down by pen first, which took me forever to edit/type up, then I was distracted by playtesting her, and of course trying out the new Shipwrecked DLC in solo DS

WILMA THE MILKMAID - NEW CHARACTER IDEA. What do you guys think of this idea for new character that spawns with an Insulated Bag (icepack) and 4 Goatsmilk (good for icecream!). She has the Crockpot and Icebox recipes from the start, as well as a custom recipe to turn live Butterflies and Milk into Butter, which of course can be used in the crockpot to make Waffles (most healthful food - even more so than Fishsticks, Flower Salad, Dragonpie and Pierogi).

Here's an initial sketch by Willette,

ojDHDdW.png

I want to figure out how to give her similar abilities as the Beefalo Milk and Cheese mod, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=436654027 , but only with goats (makes it a bit less OP, since they're usually restricted to the desert). Milk is also great for making Icecream, which helps during Summer / when crazy.

On ‎2016‎年‎3‎月‎22‎日 at 10:22 AM, RustyNayle said:

WILMA THE MILKMAID - NEW CHARACTER IDEA. What do you guys think of this idea for new character that spawns with an Insulated Bag (icepack) and 4 Goatsmilk (good for icecream!). She has the Crockpot and Icebox recipes from the start, as well as a custom recipe to turn live Butterflies and Milk into Butter, which of course can be used in the crockpot to make Waffles (most healthful food - even more so than Fishsticks, Flower Salad, Dragonpie and Pierogi).

Here's an initial sketch by Willette,

ojDHDdW.png

I want to figure out how to give her similar abilities as the Beefalo Milk and Cheese mod, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=436654027 , but only with goats (makes it a bit less OP, since they're usually restricted to the desert). Milk is also great for making Icecream, which helps during Summer / when crazy.

Seems like the cook in SW...

Not really, @limoliyadeqianmi.  The key concept is, she can milk goats and has an insulated bag so the milk lasts longer.  Her diet is not restricted in any way, she doesn't have a portable crockpot (she just knows how to build the normal base structure from the start).  Nothing like the cook, really!

I fixed the bug that caused a Wanda players game to crash when she picked the leafyjerky from the drying racks (uploaded to Steam). I still need to customise her whole Script so it is not just a copy of Wilson's. I might insert some of these, https://matadornetwork.com/notebook/20-funniest-polish-phrases-use/?fbclid=IwAR3-uL4QpADxyvM7MM7JeEVQgcNmurBl7E4hGVo_GoUMahPeOqL31hGoNPA . Any other suggestions for a Polish character of things she might say?  Maybe I should look up some idioms from Tim Burton and/or his films to insert in there? I wish I was well versed in the lore of the Constant to be able to put some great references in there. I would still like to include the nature naughtiness / shenanigan rating which causes treeguards to harass her. I tried with what code I did have, and it just turns the entire forest into treeguards and crashes the game, lol. I don't know how to make the meter reset once it causes a treeguard to spawn. The custom treeguards would also be awesome, if I could get help with the art / code. A few other tweaks also suggested on the Steam page, if anyone is keen to help