Suggestion - Terranaut Suit

The Terranaut Suit will provide a personal climate controlled environment and have its own reservoir of oxygen for the inhabiting duplicant. It will prevent harm/illness from being exposed to extreme temperatures or diseased environments/entities. It will also prevent added stress from stepping in or being submerged in liquids.

The suit will vent any Co2 created by the inhabitant into the environment, and produces 10w of heat when in use. In order to build or store a suit, a Suit Stand will have to be built and used. Duplicants can still eat and go to the bathroom while wearing the suit. If a duplicant dies while wearing the suit, the suit is considered lost. The suit cannot be worn while it is being charged, and will be automatically taken off when the dupe goes to sleep.

The suit requires both clean oxygen and power to be used. It can contain 1 full cycle worth of power/oxygen, and must be recharged at a Recharging Station. The Recharging Station will have a -240w draw and gas input, only accepting clean oxygen, and produces 20w of heat when in use. Any other gas piped in will damage the attached suit.

If the suit runs out of breathable oxygen, the duplicant will have to remove the helmet and breathe the environment's air. If the power runs out, the suit loses its climate controlled feature and protection, and adds +10% stress/cycle until the suit is recharged or removed.

Suit materials: 20 thimble fibers, 100kg metal (the metal will determine how much power/second the suit needs to use to maintain climate control)

Recharge Station materials: 750kg metal

Recharge Stand materials: 100kg mineral

The suit is intended to be a luxury only afforded to duplicants whose job it is to enter the harsh environments outside the colony in order to explore or expand, the resource costs for building/running/recharging them should be adjusted accordingly.

Thoughts?

That's been on my mind for so long and you described it with such detail. I agree to all of it, numbers can be tweaked for balance reasons by Klei as they see fit. The reason we crave for this: its not more of an oxygen thing, that can be beaten if your base is in the center and you need to dig down to the very bottom. For that purpose you can build oxygen baubles to let them "re-breathe" once they are down there. For me its more about extreme temperatures, when you dig that magma biomes, nothing can protect you.

The funny thing about magma is if a Dupe falls into a magma pool they get the "sopping wet" stress debuff, and when submerged in magma it takes them longer to burn to death than to suffocate. I imagine this will be changed in the future.

I really like the idea but there is a contradiction in this part

10 hours ago, Kiros said:

The suit requires both clean oxygen and power to be used. It can contain 1 full cycle worth of power/oxygen, and must be recharged at a Recharging Station. The Recharging Station will have a -240w draw and gas input, only accepting clean oxygen, and produces 20w of heat when in use. Any other gas piped in will damage the attached suit.

Suit materials: 20 thimble fibers, 100kg metal (the metal will determine how much power/second the suit needs to use to maintain climate control)

You note that it should contain 1 full cycle of energy/oxygen and then add that changing the metal changes the rate of consumption.

I believe it would be better to say it is like a battery, With a fixed capacity, and have it use less power from that "Battery" with the use of different metals. Or have it so that the battery capacity is more with better materials and that the rate of consumption is fixed, kind of like a dupes hunger/oxygen requirements are fixed based upon any pros/cons they have.

Archived