It's not worth - using water EVER - making oxygen EVER

One caveat... I've made oxygen in the rare case my plants cried about low pressure before I started getting my gas from outside my grimy spaceship (pumping in cooled compost gas).

So don't make anything in the oxygen category.
The food category  - only planter boxes and ration boxes.
DON'T USE THE MICROBE MUSHER after you have a harvest going.
Make showers if you want. It on'y costs sand.
Don't make lavatories, you need fertilizer.
Make tons of outhouses INSIDE your spaceship.
Make bio distillers if you want, it doesn't matter.
If you have showers make a water purifier ONLY FOR SHOWERS.
Make tons of compost piles OUTSIDE your spaceship.
Make a hand sanitizer if you want.
Do all your research as fast as possible and then deconstruct them.
Make your cots 3 spaces to the left of any other cot so you can take loud sleepers without caring.

Make it pretty and make massage tables PRIORITY 9.

Don't take anyone destructive.

Purify water by trickling water from your reservoir through anything hot enough to make steam.
Don't use a water purifier for this. It doesn't matter, dupes don't drink if you don't use a microbe musher.

So now the only thing I have to worry about is micromanaging harvesting and my air conditioning system.

I could theoretically (pretty easily actually) expand over the entire map with my setup right now.

This is only my play through 3 and I've basically 100% stabilized indefinitely.

I want to be able to stabilize... but I want to make cool **** damnit.
Nothing I've made that's cool (except my gas management) matters because it's unsustainable.

1.png

2.png

4.png3.png

I did basically the exact same thing, but alot more refined in the new Thermal Expansion.
It was ALOT easier to manage with cold biomes.

I've learned a little, but basically everything I said before is still valid.

The geysers actually make it possible to make oxygen, and since its clean water, lice loaf and mush bars.
It is still much easier and less stressful to just eat the harvest and lice plants aren't sustainable anymore anyways.

If you can make sand sustainably (which I hear you can) oxygen and water aren't off the table anymore.

1 hour ago, transcendtient said:

I did basically the exact same thing, but alot more refined in the new Thermal Expansion.
It was ALOT easier to manage with cold biomes.

I've learned a little, but basically everything I said before is still valid.

The geysers actually make it possible to make oxygen, and since its clean water, lice loaf and mush bars.
It is still much easier and less stressful to just eat the harvest and lice plants aren't sustainable anymore anyways.

If you can make sand sustainably (which I hear you can) oxygen and water aren't off the table anymore.

Why would you need sand for anything? Just use polluted water to make fertilizer and plant blossoms. 

12 hours ago, ZSST said:

Shouldn't this post be in general discussions?

My suggestion was to make it worth making clean water and oxygen. If you're more stressed playing than the dupes it's not worth it.
They geysers basically fixed that by giving you all the clean water you'd ever need.

17 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Why would you need sand for anything? Just use polluted water to make fertilizer and plant blossoms. 

You don't even need dirty water. Just make like 8 compost piles and outhouses.

Just now, transcendtient said:

You don't even need dirty water. Just make like 8 compost piles and outhouses.

That has the problem of contaminated O2, turning waste into dirty water and using it to make fertilizer is more contained. With the inf water from geysers wasting it isn't a issue.

1 minute ago, AlexRou said:

That has the problem of contaminated O2, turning waste into dirty water and using it to make fertilizer is more contained. With the inf water from geysers wasting it isn't a issue.

Yeah but you can breathe contaminated oxygen. You can't breathe... nothing.
Who cares if its contaminated? My dupes basically only have to deliver fertilizer to harvest food and pedal a little to move some air to keep it cool.

I don't even use massage tables anymore.

If you're relying on the geyser then you're relying on sand you're relying on another electricity circuit to make oxygen with an electrolyzer or algae for terrariums (worthless) and that other oxygen producer that spews out HOT oxygen.

If sand is sustainable... then I can see actually making oxygen.
TBH until that happens I'll just use compost piles.

10 minutes ago, transcendtient said:

Yeah but you can breathe contaminated oxygen. You can't breathe... nothing.
Who cares if its contaminated? My dupes basically only have to deliver fertilizer to harvest food and pedal a little to move some air to keep it cool.

I don't even use massage tables anymore.

If you're relying on the geyser then you're relying on sand you're relying on another electricity circuit to make oxygen with an electrolyzer or algae for terrariums (worthless) and that other oxygen producer that spews out HOT oxygen.

If sand is sustainable... then I can see actually making oxygen.
TBH until that happens I'll just use compost piles.

How does relying on the geyser mean I need sand? Its pure clean water. Just pump it to electrolyzers and have coal generators fueled by hatches. Then use the airscrubber to get rid of the CO2 and produce more polluted water for the fertilizer maker.

Just now, AlexRou said:

How does relying on the geyser mean I need sand? Its pure clean water. Just pump it to electrolyzers and have coal generators fueled by hatches. Then use the airscrubber to get rid of the CO2 and produce more polluted water for the fertilizer maker.

I thought sand was somewhere in there.
So use alot of water and build the infastructure, or use compost piles.

Just now, transcendtient said:

I thought sand was somewhere in there.
So use alot of water and build the infastructure, or use compost piles.

Nope, no sand anywhere. And its inf water so who cares if you're using a lot.

I just wanted to get some clarity. Is stress the only downside to breathing in polluted oxygen? Regardless of the level of toxicity? 

BTW, I praise your approach, but to me it seems like your bypassing a lot of the fun of the game. To each their own I guess, and like you said, if you can build some cool stuff then there's plenty of fun to be had. 

Archived