How to prevent scalding from Research ?

Hi,

I've a little problem since the Thermal Update.

I can't finish more than three intermerdiate research in a row, because the Super Computer is reaching a high temperature (~75°C) very quickly. My dupe is constantly getting burned. The problem is that we can't afford any cooling system before the thermal advanced search with Hydrofan, and it take a long time for the machine to cool down itself (It even becomes more profitable to destruct and reconstruct it entierely). Moreover, I don't have any frost biome in the visual range where I should be able to try the engine in low temperature. (And also, I don't find a way in a previous game to plant the cool plant, it doesn't fit in any type of pot)

The other problem is that I can't heal my duplicant. We don't have a way to heal scald before the medical bay (I presume ?) so the problem is the same (Need research to solve the problem > but need to solve the problem to continue the research). I tried to put my duplicant on a medical cot, also in water, but nothing happened, he doesn't get more healthy. He continues to held his hand when he moves like suffering and he ha slost Athletic skills.

How can I arround this trouble ?

Thank you in advance !

The "ice carrots" (because I can't recall the name either, off the top of my head, but that stuck there from the demo stream) aren't plantable yet, so no luck with that.

I was doing the same as you and just rebuilding a new computer every cycle or two. It's crazy. The downside with deconstruction is you still have heated materials lying around. I even put one in the ice with just enough room for it to fit so it's surrounded by cold materials, and it still overheats. The only thing I can say is to make a water pump so water can drip over it.

I'm pretty new, but I solved this problem by pumping water to the same floor as the computer, dripping it on the floor, and having it recycle back down to the water source. Now the whole room has cold water on the floor.  

I mean, I just put holes above to a good sized area so the heat can just rise up. Also even just opening up a path to an ice biome cools down a good portion of tiles around it.

The other problem is that I can't heal my duplicant. We don't have a way to heal scald before the medical bay (I presume ?) so the problem is the same (Need research to solve the problem > but need to solve the problem to continue the research). I tried to put my duplicant on a medical cot, also in water, but nothing happened, he doesn't get more healthy. He continues to held his hand when he moves like suffering and he ha slost Athletic skills.

I feel like this should be different, medical cots should heal near everything just at a slower rate then the rejuvenator 

57 minutes ago, ProfNox said:

Strange strategy but it seems to work, now the computer (and by the way the coal generator) doesn't seem to exceed ~30°C. ;)

Nice! Good to see the generator staying cool too, lots of people having problems with those. Food mushers good hot too! 

Archived