For reals, can we have rope? Ladders are a damn waste of resources for just digging out tiles straight down, it would be way way waaaay more convenient to have ropes. Let us craft one, put it in storage, and then we can tell dupes to build an anchoring point to attach a rope to which can be reeled in again when done to be reused or left where it is for future digging. Ladders would still be the only way up and I doubt you can construct things from a rope since you need your hands hold on with, so no rope building. Also, climing ladders would of course be faster than ropes so the real use is to make downward digging easier or constructing pumps underwater etc. Or maybe there could be rope and later on rope ladders - that'd be a pretty sweet high tier research. Each tile would be the same as 50-100 cm of rope.

As for what the rope would be made of: plant fiber! It's an old survival trick anyways, and you could get it from plants that you find or grow yourself, mealwood being the most common and lowest yield. Gives more incencitive for decoration and also ties nicely in with always having a lot of mealwood!

3 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

If you need to build ladders to go back up ... doesn't that defeat the point of you wanting ropes? Also you can just deconstruct the ladders if you want to save resources.

1. You can climb up ropes. You can't use rope to go up to places you haven't been before, that was my point, sorry. Also, the dups doesn't deconstruct ladders smartly, pieces get left behind because they are too high up or too far down and resources are left in places that you would need a ladder to go back to to collect. That or you have to dig your way too them, which isn't very fun or practical. Ladders would still be the only way to ascend to new areas unless you dig your way up through the sides.

Just now, DrBrobotnik said:

1. You can climb up roped. You can't use rope to go up to places you haven't been before, that was my point, sorry. Also, the dups doesn't deconstruct ladders smartly, pieces get left behind because they are too high up or too far down and resources are left in places that you would need a ladder to go back to to collect. That or you have to dig your way too them, which isn't very fun or practical.

"dups doesn't deconstruct ladders smartly" this could be fixed with some AI tweaks, I rather they do that than add a whole new asset and animation. 

Just now, AlexRou said:

"dups doesn't deconstruct ladders smartly" this could be fixed with some AI tweaks, I rather they do that than add a whole new asset and animation. 

And I'd rather not have to spend resources on ladders just to dig more than 2 tiles down and having to painstakingly collect them again, thank you very much.

Didn't want to bring rope talk into that other thread, maybe its your playstyle thats different thats why I dont see a problem with ladders. I've never had a point where building ladders eat too much of my resources, even just starting out I've spammed ladders everywhere lol (and just left them there). Since I've said my thoughts I'll leave it up to the devs.

5 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Didn't want to bring rope talk into that other thread, maybe its your playstyle thats different thats why I dont see a problem with ladders. I've never had a point where building ladders eat too much of my resources, even just starting out I've spammed ladders everywhere lol (and just left them there). Since I've said my thoughts I'll leave it up to the devs.

Okay, and how do you go about collecting the resources from the ladder left in the hole you just dug out? Yeah that's right. This is a game about survival. Rule 1 in survival is to not waste anything.

1 minute ago, DrBrobotnik said:

Okay, and how do you go about collecting the resources from the ladder left in the hole you just dug out? Yeah that's right. This is a game about survival. Rule 1 in survival is to not waste anything.

errr ... I just dig like this

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, DrBrobotnik said:

With the abundance of sandstone which is the main building resource of these ladders, this really should not be a problem since the cost to get down to an area with sandstone ladder wise yields 100* the sandstone you need to replace those ladders. And rule #1 of survival is to survive. with the abundance of ladder building materials its really only cosmetic if you want to get rid of them.

1 minute ago, rdrazga said:

With the abundance of sandstone which is the main building resource of these ladders, this really should not be a problem since the cost to get down to an area with sandstone ladder wise yields 100* the sandstone you need to replace those ladders. And rule #1 of survival is to survive. with the abundance of ladder building materials its really only cosmetic if you want to get rid of them.

Not gonna be abundant forever. I know that from experience.

However, against my above quote I do believe there could be possible uses for rope like a quicker way to save stuck dupes. I think you need to work on your reasoning or change it rather than trying to argue a point that does not apply to every persons game.

1 minute ago, DrBrobotnik said:

Not gonna be abundant forever. I know that from experience.

Rope is made of a plant fiber therefore requires plants to create, this in turn means you have to use resources like dirt and seeds to grow plants and if real life logic was applied, the nutrients in the soil wouldn't last forever. Along with my previous argument the abundance is not the main problem its more your argument for rope since rope wouldn't be the easiest or most abundant to make either. 

2 minutes ago, rdrazga said:

Rope is made of a plant fiber therefore requires plants to create, this in turn means you have to use resources like dirt and seeds to grow plants and if real life logic was applied, the nutrients in the soil wouldn't last forever. Along with my previous argument the abundance is not the main problem its more your argument for rope since rope wouldn't be the easiest or most abundant to make either. 

Ropes can be reused for a long time. One more thing that I didn't mention, ladders are negative decor so leaving them everywhere stresses people out faster. Heh, guess the dupes thinks it's pretty silly to just leave them everywhere too.

kinda fits. i would like figherfighter poles for moving down. and a rope+weight based elevator could be fun. ropes could be portable helping tools but require one dupe to hold the other end, more use for strong dupes. half tiles as triangle shape with roller skate/sliding mechanic later.

1 minute ago, ShamPeiN said:

kinda fits. i would like figherfighter poles for moving down. and a rope+weight based elevator could be fun. ropes could be portable helping tools but require one dupe to hold the other end, more use for strong dupes. half tiles as triangle shape with roller skate/sliding mechanic later.

I love everything about this, esp the dupe holding the rope - means you can afford deep digs without needing to have anything but rope with you, and it takes teamwork a step further. And that is always number 1 to surviving together.

57 minutes ago, DrBrobotnik said:

Ropes can be reused for a long time. One more thing that I didn't mention, ladders are negative decor so leaving them everywhere stresses people out faster. Heh, guess the dupes thinks it's pretty silly to just leave them everywhere too.

See there you go: your now finding new reasons to support your rope idea. This is what you should do instead of just arguing the same idea of material use over and over. Like I said I agree with the idea of rope just think you weren't developing it well enough. The idea of it being more temporary is helpful for decor and makes it therefore better.

2 hours ago, rdrazga said:

See there you go: your now finding new reasons to support your rope idea. This is what you should do instead of just arguing the same idea of material use over and over. Like I said I agree with the idea of rope just think you weren't developing it well enough. The idea of it being more temporary is helpful for decor and makes it therefore better.

Huh. The main argument for me is still the resource efficency but whatever you say.

Archived