Help w/ gas pump/electrolyzer! Bug or user error?

No matter what I've tried so far, I just can't get these things to work.  Gas pumps produce a small vacuum, which continuously starts and stops their operation.  The gas pipes always show as empty, except sometimes when I first connect a pipe.  Someone suggested here I build a small room with just a pump and an electrolyzer, which I did.  Still no luck.  I've tried medium size rooms, large rooms.

Here's a pause where you can see my electrolyzer is at 'max gas pressure', the gas pump is in a vacuum, and next to the gas pump is 2000g of pressurized hydrogen.  I added a gas pressure valve after the gas filter (to filter out the oxygen) but it always shows 0 Kg/s even when the pump is running.

How did other people get this working?  

max gas pressure.png

pump not in gas.png

2000g hydrogen pocket.png

I found that you need a much larger quantity of hydrogen in an area to make the gas pumps work. I let my hydrogen float to the top of my base where I dug out a big area to hold it. Then at the very top of that area I have a gas pump that transfers the gas to my hydrogen electricity maker, whatever thats called.

I originally tried that approach, but no luck.  Maybe I need to put the pump higher?  The hydrogen is all cleared out now, but prior to that, there was so much hydrogen at the top of my base it was covering the sleeping quarters and mess hall section causing my duplicants to suffocate, yet the pump would still cycle off and on and still wouldn't clear the hydrogen.

original attempt.png

I have my pump high in the base, as the Hydrogen in the base will eventually rise. Hydrogen hasn't been a good source of power but it does get 'used' from the output of the two electorloyzers near the bottom of my base.

This is at 125 cycles in so this set up has worked well for me.

1251.jpg

Had the same problem. Assumed it was a bug at first but eventually decided it probably means I need to pump the hydrogen into one place and set up a more complicated gas plumbing system. But looking at your screenshots, OP, you did do something I'd probably try and still it's not working for you so I don't know anymore

19 hours ago, Elviraa said:

I have my pump high in the base, as the Hydrogen in the base will eventually rise. Hydrogen hasn't been a good source of power but it does get 'used' from the output of the two electorloyzers near the bottom of my base.

This is at 125 cycles in so this set up has worked well for me.

1251.jpg

Wow, nice set up! Don't your coal generators produce a lot of CO2? Where is it going?

Edit: there's another thread on the gas pump subject here, people are saying it's buggy

On 17.2.2017 at 6:25 PM, cptCalavera said:

I found that you need a much larger quantity of hydrogen in an area to make the gas pumps work. I let my hydrogen float to the top of my base where I dug out a big area to hold it. Then at the very top of that area I have a gas pump that transfers the gas to my hydrogen electricity maker, whatever thats called.

I took the same approach to make that work... it worked... kinda... it succsessfully removed my hydrogen, but the energy output was insignificant.

What I've done is set up an electrolyzer in a larger room (my first attempt, forgive the clutter) with a gas pump up above. It has a gas filter which sends oxygen further in to my base, and the hydrogen should just be continuing on its merry way to the hydrogen generator off to the side... but it doesn't. The hydrogen sits in the gas pump as 'bottled hydrogen' for some reason :/

Screenshot 2017-02-18 20.32.27.png

3 hours ago, tiredDragon said:

Had the same problem. Assumed it was a bug at first but eventually decided it probably means I need to pump the hydrogen into one place and set up a more complicated gas plumbing system. But looking at your screenshots, OP, you did do something I'd probably try and still it's not working for you so I don't know anymore

Wow, nice set up! Don't your coal generators produce a lot of CO2? Where is it going?

Edit: there's another thread on the gas pump subject here, people are saying it's buggy

I do not have a Co2 problem off the coal generators. The bit that came off floated to the bottom of the base of the algae terr. were sucking up the Co2 as they were at the bottom of the base.

I' am almost to cycle 250....I post more about my experience with this gas if I cross that threshold ;)

Archived