Ideas for changes/additions to boats

For a game centered around the ocean, does anyone else feel like the boating needs a little more work?  With the addition of the feather sail and iron wind in the two previous updates, i think the sails are in a good place.  5 different sails with a pretty good balance between them all.  I feel like the other boat-attachments need to have that level (or at least more than we have now) of complexity.  Other than sails we have 2 lights, 1 net, and 1 weapon.  i feel like there should be at least 3 levels of each of those items.  Here's some ideas i will throw out there:

• Lights
    • Boat Lamp
      • Bottle + 2 twigs + 3 electric doodads & alchemy engine
      • duration is same as boat lantern, but is refueled with gears (not much to use them for currently)
  • Nets
    • Fishing Net
      • 3 vines + 3 bamboo & Science Machine
      • much more likely to catch food items, gets an extra mussel/wobster from each pickup
      • can still catch non-food, but less likely than currently
      • boat speed deceases based on how much stuff is in the net
    • Trawl Net
      • 3 rope + 3 bamboo + 2 bone shards & Alchemy Engine
      • loot probabilities same as now
      • boat speed deceases based on how much stuff is in the net
    • Super Trawl Net (needs a better name)
      • 6 rope + 8 bamboo + [hard to get item] & Alchemy Engine
      • last item in recipe could be a large number of doy doy feathers, or maybe a new item from the last boss, or some otherwise hard to get item.
      • less likely to catch food, slightly more likely to catch better loot
      • 12 slots instead of 9
      • no speed penalty with stuff in net
      • doesn't drop when full (but something happens to tell you its full) & can be brought back to wherever you want and dropped manually
  • Weapons
    • Boat Harpoon
      • 5 log + 3 bamboo + 5 spear guns + Science Machine
      • gets 10 shots (doubling effectiveness of the spear guns)
      • can be reloaded with more spearguns (but will disappear if all shots are used)
      • not sure how to incorporate poison / obsidian spearguns into this... maybe not at all... maybe reloading with those types lets the harpoon fire with those affects for two shots.
    • Boat Torpedo
      • 5 log + 5 charcoal + 3 electric doodads + Alchemy Engine
      • has 10 shots that auto-fire on any creature (cannot manually fire) withing range
      • is stronger than cannon, but very long delay between shots
      • can be turned on/off to avoid unwanted firing of shots

2 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

So much this, also making sea kiting actually possible.

I had an idea about this too... a new boat that's super maneuverable during combat

• Combat Boat
    • 6 boards + 3 ropes + 10 gears & Alchemy Engine
    • art for the boat would be similar to the floaty boaty knights, but without the head
    • Duribility = 400 (between cargo & armored)
    • Speed = varies when in/out of combat (based on proximity to hostile mobs)
      • Out of Combat = 4 (same as log raft)
      • In Combat = 8 (almost as fast as row boat / armored boat with a feather sail) but would also have better acceleration... basically would move the same as the character would on foot, allowing for much better maneuverability during a fight. 
      • Cannot equip a sail (but can still equip a light & weapon)

Archived