Beefalo behavior underground

so, I'm setting up a camp underground, to make ruins exploration easier, and it occurred to me to me that life would be so much better if I had beefalo down here, for meat, fuel, etc.  So using a beefalo horn I brought a couple down. Now they are just walking into a wall like they're trying to get somewhere.  And it's spring, but they're not in heat. 

I've had issues with beefalo not wanting to relocate before, insisting on returning to where I brought them from, but once they spawn some babies at least a couple will settle down eventually. My concern is this: are my beefalo bugged, or do beefalo just not settle down in the caves?  Have other people out there successfully transplanted beefalo herds to the caves? Or is this a thing that can't be done?

Fascinating! Are you able to bring the beefalo back up from the cave or are they stuck down there? I've never really tested things with caves, 'cause I'm a scaredy cat. But you have me intrigued now. :wilson_smile:

Would be interesting to see if they did start breeding in caves if they "evolved" and became more cave inclined.

well, I'm playing as wigfrid, which means I need a reliable meat source, and jerky is my food of choice particularly when underground for the sanity recovery.  beefalo are my favorite food source.  And while the beefalo in my cave aren't in heat, they have still somehow produced about six babies that appear to be just wandering randomly like beefalo do. I guess I'll see how they behave when they grow up.  the most important thing was that the beefalo reproduce for renewable food.

Ahhh. I got you! I started playing the 3 cats mod who also only eat meat. I mostly focus on fishing/frog trapping. Because, I'm not much of a fighter. I need to work on that. So, I never practiced farming beefalo lol. But for exploring caves sounds like a great idea! I only went to a cave once and it didn't seem to easy to find food sources. Hopefully, if it is buggy they can fix it, I really like the idea of this. Very out of the box :encouragement: I'm going to follow this topic, good luck to you!

Ahhh. I got you! I started playing the 3 cats mod who also only eat meat. I mostly focus on fishing/frog trapping. Because, I'm not much of a fighter. I need to work on that. So, I never practiced farming beefalo lol. But for exploring caves sounds like a great idea! I only went to a cave once and it didn't seem to easy to find food sources. Hopefully, if it is buggy they can fix it, I really like the idea of this. Very out of the box :encouragement: I'm going to follow this topic, good luck to you!

thank you! and the babies have stared to mature, and they are perfectly content to live down here.  I figure if the population becomes a problem I'll just start using the herds to kill depths worms waves.  The original 5 I brought down continue to walk at the wall- they're not happy about being down here.  But the babies are fine with it.  And they continue to reproduce. 

Food is not terribly easy underground, aside from monster meat.  But I think these underground herds should be perfect. I guess time answered my own question.    I just made sure to put them somewhere away from other creatures just to be safe.  The baby beefalo that mature are in heat since it's spring, and I feel like aggressive beefalo would lose in a fight with a rock lobster herd.  I don't need my herds fighting each other.

You should try the caves.  It's scary, and it is harder,  but it's exciting too.  and very satisfying.  I'm still terrified of the ruins though. That's  a BAD place. I don't stay down there long.

Archived