The land of a thousand walruses

The Klei official servers often fill up so I took the opportunity to join a private server with a low ping, you never know what you will find.

It was mid/early Autumn and there were around eight players with the usual chatter of "I have eight gold" although one player kept saying weird stuff like "I'd be lying to you if I said I had 60 grass".   A lot of the dialogue was strange though, it was in English but didn't make any sense to me.

After leaving the portal I ran into a Walrus camp, "ah good, easy pickings for a walking cane!".   Then another and another and another.   The desert was nearby and tumbleweeds seemed to produce gears more frequently.   In a few days time my health was just below 400 and I set about exploring the world getting together the essentials (miners hat, material for a tent, machines, thermal stones, winter hats, etc.).   Winter approached quickly and suddenly the other players dropped off like flies, by day 20 it was down to two of us.   I returned to the portal as it was the only area with some space away from the McTusks, the other player was nearby (but might as well have been far away given the treacherous conditions) in the PK deciduous forest.   Sadly it only took a day for this person to die and I was alone again.  

A rudimentary camp with an alchemy engine, one chest, and two crockpots, gears were plentiful so I wasn't worried about getting an icebox soon but I was short on gold and needed one more silk for a tent.   After an easy McTusk kill I had my tusk and a Tam, this is when a librarian spawned at the portal.   I guided said player to the base which was incredibly close and immediately sensed trouble, sure enough the character froze to death (despite being right next to a stone fire with plenty of resources, suspicious).   

With two log armor and a tentacle spike I headed towards the desert taking blow dart hits every other screen, health dropped to 140 and the ghost was constantly nagging "where are you?", "what are you doing?" while I was trying to survive.   The desert trip was successful, just enough gold to make a walking cane and return to base.   Next mission was one silk, this was north and quite a distance through walrus camps but I was getting better at threading my way through them.  Picked up a gland and resurrected the librarian (promptly died again) and built a tent.   Plenty of food, full health, it was pretty good.   Deerklops mysteriously showed up a day early right at the base, it was no problem though I could rebuild and I knew it would die given all the walruses around.   Was getting bored though and I left on day 32 as there was nobody to really play with.  

There are a lot of strange worlds out there...

5 hours ago, Mencken said:

There are a lot of strange worlds out there...

Indeed there are my friend!

Quite an interesting story I might say. I personally don't do much public play and stick with a couple friends of mine I met when I started playing the game however I have started doing them more often now for the sake of the interesting experiences you find like this one here. Something tells me that world will have no shortage of hound teeth, blue gems, tusks, tams, or meat any time soon!

Archived