Observing Guard Behavior? - Patrolling, Investigating, Hunting

Any one able to walk me through the value observing guard behaviour? Most helpful would be explanations of what happens when they are patrolling, investigating, or hunting, and what activates each of them.

I am trying to determine how often I should observe guard behaviour or not. Does it also allow me to see their walking path? I don't understand yet when those arrows showing their path will display (sometimes all I get is just their status).

Any one able to walk me through the value observing guard behaviour? Most helpful would be explanations of what happens when they are patrolling, investigating, or hunting, and what activates each of them.

I am trying to determine how often I should observe guard behaviour or not. Does it also allow me to see their walking path? I don't understand yet when those arrows showing their path will display (sometimes all I get is just their status).

From what i have observed patrolling guards are just walking the same path over and over again

Investigating guards will go to the spot that they want to investigate and if there is nothing there they go back to their original route or place

Hunting is the same as investigating essentialy but the guard will not return to patrolling but keep on hunting

A stationary guard obviously won't have a path. Patrolling ones will take the same path over and over so you can look at them to figure it out if you end your round in view or have cameras nearby. Plus they are loud. If a guard investigates it has some point it is going to look at next, the question mark. That seems to happen if you give something that can be explained away, like a door opening/closing or being too loud. If the lead doesn't turn into anything the guard returns to its old position.

Hunting is the exclamation mark one and it is similar to investigating with some real clue. Like, being tasered from behind, seeing an intruder and loosing sight or finding a body. The guard will search the level until finding something which changes the level dynamic significantly. So wait until giving a guard a real lead as long as possible.

Stationary or patrolling are easy enough to see if you have one round. If you need to bypass now the guard you can spend the point, it is pretty easy to see how the guard will turn and where they will have their blindspot. Investigating guards are pretty obvious since the question mark is a pretty big tell and it is mostly pretty obvious where they are going.

Hunting guards are a pain so it can be well worth it to look at them so you can hide behind their back while they keep searching. Plus they leave stuff open. Plus looking around makes it harder to hide in blind spots.

Oh, and the pass can be really hard to see since the color blends with the view cones. Gonna be fixed by making the paths white.

Edit: Turns out it was a while between clicking reply and posting... XD

Archived