PS5 grinds to a halt, then after a minute or more, plays everything that happened really quickly.

Wuntunzee
  • Pending

Tough one to describe and impossible to reenact.  I've had about a dozen times when playing 800-2200 day worlds where the PS5 suddently struggles so much, that the game hangs. To be clear, the PS5 UI still sort of works, I can press the PS button and navigate slowly, but Spotify cuts out and the game freezes.

Worryingly it's happened several times while saving (could be important*). The game seems to always come back to normal, but it shows me everything that happened during that freeze sped up. So I'll be in a fight with some spiders, it hangs, and after ten seconds to a minute or 2 two, it shows me AFK getting mauled on fast forward over the course of about 3 seconds. After that, gameplay can be fine, or it can stutter to another stop, where I usually shut down to not risk corrupting my save. Interestly, the PS5's Shareplay won't record after these episodes (could be important*) so I can never show what's going on, although I guess I could film on my phone in future.

Things that tell me the issue's going to occur are micro-hangs when doing literally anything, but more often when there's a lot of items or mobs on screen. However I could be fighting a hundred bees with 4 krampii and not have an issue, or I could be riding along a road and the game suddenly hangs. Maybe it's because I'm running towards structures that're skinned and the PS5 can't find the images and grinds to a halt? I have a lot of skinned items in my game, and as others have pointed out, they've been showing as invisible for a couple updates now.

*these important things could indicate a problem with the SSD I thought, but other games work fine. This is a disc drive PS5, about 2 years old, a second SSD installed but DST is installed on the primary one the PS5 came with. I'm playing alone, but it's also happened in split screen. I'm not always listening to Spotify when it happens, but more often than not, I am.

Here's a video I took last night after the latest update, there are subtitles to point out where there's a hang, then some explanation of what happens after the video ends, because of course, I can't record what happens.

You can see a few incidences of skinned items not showing, such as a mannequin with the particle effects of the berry bush hat but no berry bush, and all the lava pits are walled off with ancient walls.

Thanks for reading.

Steps to Reproduce

Play 800-2200 day old worlds with Shareplay on and Spotify playing.

Run around large bases with lots of items not only in chests but on the floor. 

Have lots of items skinned, in a huge cluster at base obviously, but also spread out, so that when you run around, the PS5 has to load them repeatedly.

Get into big fights with lots of mobs, your beefalo, chester.

Do the same in split screen.

User Feedback

Wooo!

This is an interesting issue. As someone whose got a pretty decent sized late game world, I have never experienced what you are describing... with a PS5. With a PS4, I did not even get anything that bad. I got a low framerates when doing split screen but that's about it.

It sounds like something is going kaput, and I am not entirely sure it would be the SSD. 

Did you try to boot the PS5 in safe mode and clear the cache / rebuild the database? 

Share this comment

Thanks, I cleared the cache and rebuilt the database and so far no hangs or crashes. Additionally, that seems to have resolved the skins issue as well.

I'll go through the other relevant bug posts and mention what you've said (although I'm not sure how to link to a user), thanks again for the pointer.

The only variable I've not confirmed is after my post, I moved the game files to the expansion drive, but this didn't resolve either issue for long. Now the cache is rebuilt, I've not moved the game files back to the original SSD, but since it's working fine I'll carry on until it breaks again.

Cheers

Share this comment