Progress lost even after saving

andreiguerrieri
  • Pending

I play with a friend in his server (online) and we've been experiencing lots of errors, specially progress loss.

The worst case so far was a 40+ days rollback. It was probably day 980+, we killed the Ancient Guardian and did A LOT of stuff. We stopped playing after some time, and since we had a rollback of maybe 10+ days in the past, we always make sure that I disconnect before him, so he can safely shutdown the server and close the game. When we started playing again and he was launching the server, he noticed it said Day 940 or something like this. We logged in and found ourselves in the caves, right next to our spot before killing the Ancient Guardian, meaning everything we did after that was lost.

So we played it all again, making sure our progress was being saved everytime we disconnected.

Last night, however, it happened again. We went sailing to find Malbatross, day 1030+. We farmed logs, pig skin, food and many other things. I got hungry, so we disconnected carefully and closed the game so I could eat and then come back. After opening the game, we were standing next to our firepit at the base, 3 days of progress lost.

I know that we can't be free of bugs, but it looks like a lot of people been through this and nothing was done. It feels like you don't care about console players.

I really love you, Klei. Been playing DS and DST for over 6 years, but this is really awful.

Can you please try to fix this?

Steps to Reproduce

No steps to reproduce.

• Sad 1

User Feedback

UPDATE: our server was completely wiped out!!! 1498 days! We played a couple hours ago and everything was FINE! WTH HAPPENED?????????????

It's been almost a month and NOT A SINGLE COMMENT was given. WHY DOES THIS FORUM EVEN EXIST???

Instead of giving us drops and skins, why can't you focus on solving game breaking bugs like this one?

Share this comment

Hi there, I am very sorry to hear about what happened with your server, and for the wait as this is not a known issue to our team, so there is not anything specific for us to be able to fix based on the report. We also do not have enough information or reproducible steps to know how to specifically help with your situation. 

That being said, you had mentioned that progress was not being saved on your server. One reason we can think of that would cause something like this to happen is if the save files are going onto an internal or external hard drive on the PS4, and the hard drive is not saving files properly due to a hardware error, or the hard drive does not have enough space to be able to save progress.

It could also be that the server host's PlayStation Plus cloud saves are not set to auto-upload, or are not uploading properly, and the game is trying to load up a previous save state from the cloud instead. Please see here for troubleshooting steps for PlayStation Cloud: 
https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/support/subscriptions/ps4-ps-plus-online-storage/

As for the save file being missing, in addition to the information above, the server host and person joining the server will need to ensure that they are playing on the same PSN accounts that were originally used to play the game. This may happen if there are other people who play using different PSN accounts or profiles on the same console.

Could you provide us with your save files via the steps provided on this FAQ post? While we are not able to guarantee that we can help recover your world, we can at least take a look into your save files and see what may have been happening. 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 5/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, JanH said:

Hi there, I am very sorry to hear about what happened with your server, and for the wait as this is not a known issue to our team, so there is not anything specific for us to be able to fix based on the report. We also do not have enough information or reproducible steps to know how to specifically help with your situation. 

That being said, you had mentioned that progress was not being saved on your server. One reason we can think of that would cause something like this to happen is if the save files are going onto an internal or external hard drive on the PS4, and the hard drive is not saving files properly due to a hardware error, or the hard drive does not have enough space to be able to save progress.

It could also be that the server host's PlayStation Plus cloud saves are not set to auto-upload, or are not uploading properly, and the game is trying to load up a previous save state from the cloud instead. Please see here for troubleshooting steps for PlayStation Cloud: 
https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/support/subscriptions/ps4-ps-plus-online-storage/

As for the save file being missing, in addition to the information above, the server host and person joining the server will need to ensure that they are playing on the same PSN accounts that were originally used to play the game. This may happen if there are other people who play using different PSN accounts or profiles on the same console.

Could you provide us with your save files via the steps provided on this FAQ post? While we are not able to guarantee that we can help recover your world, we can at least take a look into your save files and see what may have been happening. 

I'm sorry, but no, that's not what happened.

• Every save on the PS4 is stored on its internal HDD, unless you want to copy it to a flash drive. Even when the game is installed on an external HDD, the console stores every single save file on the internal drive. THAT'S how it works.

• I never mentioned a missing save file. What I said is that the game was rolling back the server even after the saving animation. The save file is still there, but sometimes we lose a few days because the game chooses to roll it back on itself just for fun.

• Regarding PS Plus Cloud Save: why would the game try to load a save from the cloud? I'm almost 100% sure that this can't and shouldn't be done. Its job it's to load a local save, stored on the console, and NEVER from my personal account - which is managed exclusively by me and Sony and is made for backin up information.

• As for the host/client thing... we play it online, so it has to be the same person loading the server not matter what. Since my friend is the host, I can't play if he doesn't launch the server. 

Share this comment