Sign in to follow this  

Cave Mushtrees trunk vanishes


jesuisralph
  • Pending

As far as I know Mushtrees are part of the regrowth mechanic in DST (http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Regrowth), I have chopped mushtrees before and it always grew back - It's been a while since I've done this (I'm not sure if the new update/patch messed up or not) I chopped the red mushtrees again during late Winter and as always, I left the mushtree trunk in hopes for it to grow back like before..., it was supposed to grow back by Summer but it never did. I started to get worried, I asked other twitch streams about this and they told me that it "takes time" next season came along (Fall season) and it still didn't grow, I noticed something..... the red mushtree trunks started to disappear. I noticed way too late, by the end of Winter and early Spring, I went back to caves only to find out all the mushtree trunks that I left behind just vanished. Fortunately I have a backup save of previous day counts that still has a few of the tree trunks left, I'm hoping you could take a look into this issue and help me save the remaining red mushtrees trunks I have left in the map.. I chopped about 40+ mushtrees (I didn't dig up the mushtree trunks though) I noticed that I cannot save all it, some are already gone from the map (unfortunately, the save I have overwrote previous saves before chopping the mushtrees) I also have made a save of the day I found out the all the mushtrees tree trunks has vanished. 

 

Here's the save with the remaining red mushtree trunks left: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsyv3kyjk35jzgv/PS4.zip?dl=0

The save file of the aftermath when all the mushtree trunk vanished: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsyv3kyjk35jzgv/PS4.zip?dl=0

 

I also have the screenshot of the maps, etc..

The map that shows a few mushtree trunks:

fljvLYI.png

H74YGtA.png

Vl0O8PR.png

Qou2DN4.png

OGAYLUZ.png

Here's when I noticed EVERYTHING just vanished....

2pm7bdD.png

Pf81ESi.png

LCMD92Z.png

I'm really disappointed right now, if I knew there was a bug, I wouldn't have chopped the mushtrees in the first place.

I have a few options right now...

- Stop playing this world until this bug is fixed so I can save my mushtrees

- Deal with the loss of 40+ mushtrees and have HUGE & unpleasant dark areas near my cave base area.

- Reload my third backup save that takes me back to 7300s with all the mushtree intact but lose over 600 days of progress including Misery Toad kill, base changes, loots, rss, etc... 

 

 


Steps to Reproduce
Chop mushtrees
Sign in to follow this  


User Feedback


....

Hi, jesuisralph.

You are correct in that mushtrees grow back with the world regrowth feature. However, in order for them to grow back, you have to dig up the stumps.

This also applies true to trees (such as evergreen/lumpy evergreen/birchnut trees).

I hope that answers your question. Happy diggings!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
....
On 7/6/2018 at 10:46 AM, Extant said:

Hi, jesuisralph.

You are correct in that mushtrees grow back with the world regrowth feature. However, in order for them to grow back, you have to dig up the stumps.

This also applies true to trees (such as evergreen/lumpy evergreen/birchnut trees).

I hope that answers your question. Happy diggings!

Wow, such a troll.... Maybe you should go chop and dig up all of your mushtree stumps in your world and wait for it to regen. It's been proven that once you dig up the mushtree stumps, it DOESN'T grow back. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
....
On 7/15/2018 at 10:48 PM, jesuisralph said:

Wow, such a troll.... Maybe you should go chop and dig up all of your mushtree stumps in your world and wait for it to regen. It's been proven that once you dig up the mushtree stumps, it DOESN'T grow back. 

I'm not sure when that was proven, but I've had my mushtrees grow back after I chopped and dug their stumps up in my world that I played during May of 2018.

I'll do some tests to see if anything changed with the world regrowth system since then, but I was being 100% honest and not attempting to troll at all. Although patches do come out and things can change so I probably should double-check before giving such crucial advice like this.

I'll edit my post when I've tested out the mushtree to world regrowth setting.

Edit #1

Okay, so I've gotten a bit of testing done but I'll have to continue to figure out this world regrowth system completely.

This is what I've found regarding mushtrees and world regrowth on revision 277964 of DST July 20th, 2018.

I chopped and dug up mushtree stumps and, after their regrowth time (in the appropriate season), they do grow back. I also tried burning them with a torch/fire staff and they also grew back afterwards.

However, it seems that it takes a long time for them to grow unless the desolation regrowth feature kicks in. This is due to the world regrowth only growing 1 mushtree back at a time when the regular regrowth formula is used. The time it takes for a mushtree to grow back, according to the wiki, is 3 days in its appropriate season assuming the player is not within a 16 tile radius of the said mushtree. That means if you chop 5 mushtrees, it should take approximately 15 days for all 5 of them to return assuming the world regrowth is on default settings.

In addition to this, I also encountered the same situation as you. When I left the stump on the map it eventually disappeared by the game's own accord. I believe the game will eventually remove the stump so that the mushtree can grow back without the player needing to dig the stump up, but I'll have to do more extensive testing to see if this is the case.

Again, I apologize if my post seemed like a troll but my intention was solely to help you out as I know that bug posts (especially those in the PS4/Xbox One sections) largely get ignored.

I will continue to test this out during my free time and update my post as I discover more information pertaining to the regrowth feature. I only wish that my lua coding knowledge was more comprehensive so that I could simply dig into the game's files and determine how exactly the regrowth feature works.

Edited by Extant

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
....
On 7/20/2018 at 12:44 AM, Extant said:

I'm not sure when that was proven, but I've had my mushtrees grow back after I chopped and dug their stumps up in my world that I played during May of 2018.

I'll do some tests to see if anything changed with the world regrowth system since then, but I was being 100% honest and not attempting to troll at all. Although patches do come out and things can change so I probably should double-check before giving such crucial advice like this.

I'll edit my post when I've tested out the mushtree to world regrowth setting.

Edit #1

Okay, so I've gotten a bit of testing done but I'll have to continue to figure out this world regrowth system completely.

This is what I've found regarding mushtrees and world regrowth on revision 277964 of DST July 20th, 2018.

I chopped and dug up mushtree stumps and, after their regrowth time (in the appropriate season), they do grow back. I also tried burning them with a torch/fire staff and they also grew back afterwards.

However, it seems that it takes a long time for them to grow unless the desolation regrowth feature kicks in. This is due to the world regrowth only growing 1 mushtree back at a time when the regular regrowth formula is used. The time it takes for a mushtree to grow back, according to the wiki, is 3 days in its appropriate season assuming the player is not within a 16 tile radius of the said mushtree. That means if you chop 5 mushtrees, it should take approximately 15 days for all 5 of them to return assuming the world regrowth is on default settings.

In addition to this, I also encountered the same situation as you. When I left the stump on the map it eventually disappeared by the game's own accord. I believe the game will eventually remove the stump so that the mushtree can grow back without the player needing to dig the stump up, but I'll have to do more extensive testing to see if this is the case.

Again, I apologize if my post seemed like a troll but my intention was solely to help you out as I know that bug posts (especially those in the PS4/Xbox One sections) largely get ignored.

I will continue to test this out during my free time and update my post as I discover more information pertaining to the regrowth feature. I only wish that my lua coding knowledge was more comprehensive so that I could simply dig into the game's files and determine how exactly the regrowth feature works.

When I was new to the caves early 900s, I chopped and dug a big portion of the blue mushtrees, even burned  few with spider webs under the assumption that it would grow back after reading the wiki but it never grew back and I'm on day 8836 right now.

edTE3cb.jpg

I also went asking question about it on twitch, the streamers I talked to (Clwnbaby, esaiXD) has told me to never to dug stump because it won't grow back if I do. Clwnbaby also said that when he dug it, he lost all of his mushroom because it never grew back. So this is how I know why a large portion of blue mushtree is gone for good. 

As for the red mushtree, it usually grows back when I chop it and leave the stump intact.....

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
....

Does Clwnbaby/esaiXD play on PC or PS4?

Also, giving a little more information about what my testings revealed so far, the world regrowth feature seems a bit strange in the placement of the returned mushtrees.

I took a screenshot of the area in which there were just 3 mushtrees to begin with. I chopped and dug all 3 of them up, and then went to an area about 3 screens away that contained the majority of the mushtrees. I chopped 24 of those down and waited for a long time to see if they'd grow back.

They did, but for some reason, the area in which there were 3 mushtrees originally now had 7 mushtrees and there were less mushtrees in the big area with them. Apparently the game might place the mushtrees further away than where they used to be for whatever odd reason.

I can assure you that the mushtrees do grow back even with the stump dug up in the current version of the game. However, there seem to be some circumstances that must be met for them to come back. There can't be any items such as earthquake drops within 1 tile of their spawn point, the time passed must be in the season per mushtree type and also per mushtree, and the player must not be in a 16 tile radius of them for that said period.

I'm still testing to see what happens should I just leave the stumps there and if they'll come back after the game removes them for whatever reason. This setting is definitely 1 of the most complicated ones the game has to offer.

Edit #1

Okay, so I counted all the mushtrees in the area that I got rid of and out of the 24 that I chopped/dug up, 20 of them came back. That math checks out with the 4 extra ones that spawned in the area that originally had 3 mushtrees to begin with.

I honestly can't say how the game figured to put those 4 nearly 4 screens away from where they used to be. I've currently got 4 stumps that I left to see what will happen if I wait long enough.

I should also mention that I put the world regrowth setting on fastest to be able to test this out as quickly as possible. Tweaking the setting might be making it a bit janky perhaps.

Edit #2

Okay, so the game again removed the stumps over time on its own. The good news is that the mushtree re-spawned even after the stump disappeared. Also, yes, I'm 100% positive that the game can only re-spawn 1 mushtree at a time so if you got rid of 3 of them, it'd take at least 9 days on default settings for all 3 of them to come back.

Since digging their stump up with a shovel, burning them with a torch or fire staff, or even allowing the game to remove the stump didn't prevent the mushtree from coming back, the question now is what does stop them from regenerating?

According to the wiki, there can't be structures/buildings within 5 tiles of them or any entities within 1 tile of them. I'm assuming earthquake drops will prevent them from coming back, but I'll check to see if this is the case.

Interestingly, they do not necessarily re-spawn at the same place. This is just a wild guess, but perhaps your blue mushtree biome did in fact re-spawn the trees you got rid of in the early 900s. However, they re-spawned in different areas among the other mushtrees so it looked like they didn't come back. The only way to tell for sure is to count the muhstrees individually to check if you're really missing some.

This mechanic is honestly a huge hassle to test out. I'll do my best to figure it out though as this information is definitely worth knowing for long-term commitment.

Edit #3

Oh my god, world regrowth, stop! You're drunk! Now it made 5 of the 7 mushtrees re-spawn in the other area that's like 4 screens away. So apparently the placement of the world regrowth feature is rather highly random. The area they were originally in was as clean as a whistle so there was no reason for the game not to put them back there. This makes figuring out if you're missing anything extremely hard without counting icons on the map 1 by 1.

Edit #4

So I have confirmed that earthquake drops, such as rocks, do prevent mushtrees from coming back. I'll have to do some more testing to see if they at least re-spawn in other areas.

Edited by Extant

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now