World save dissapearing

christanpig_3
  • Fixed

After consecutively surving 13 days with my friend, I disconnect from Don't Starve Together and closed the application. When I returned to DST my world save was gone.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Generate world 2. Disconnect from world 3. Close application 4. Start DST and the world save will be gone

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Hi @christanpig_3

Yikes, that's definitely not good. I have a bunch of questions to try to figure out what could cause this.

-Were you hosting or did you join your friend? Looking at the report it seemed you were hosting.

-Was it splitscreen?

-When it disappeared, what was there next time you started the game. Was just that server gone? Was everything gone? Did you only have one?

-How did you close the application?

-Did it complain about damaged savedata or was it just quietly gone?

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, bizziboi said:

Hi @christanpig_3

Yikes, that's definitely not good. I have a bunch of questions to try to figure out what could cause this.

-Were you hosting or did you join your friend? Looking at the report it seemed you were hosting.

-Was it splitscreen?

-When it disappeared, what was there next time you started the game. Was just that server gone? Was everything gone? Did you only have one?

Yes, I was hosting, it wasn't splitscreen. I only had the one server and when I next started the game the server was gone and my only option was to start a new world. I closed the application by going on the PS4 homescreen, going over Don't Starve Together, pressing the "OPTIONS" button, and selecting "Close application". It didn't say anything about damaged save data, it was just gone.

Share this comment

Very strange :\ 

It may sound stupid but you didn't accidentally sign in as a different user?

Share this comment

No, I never logged out in the time from when I closed Don't Starve Together and went back on or switched users.

Edited by christanpig_3

Share this comment

6 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Hi @christanpig_3

-Was it splitscreen?

A friend and I also experienced this same issue today. We got to day 21 yesterday (July 25), and today (July 26) the entire world was gone.

One thing we noticed was that his "encounters" were missing, as if we never played together. His other save file had also been affected too, it rolled back by one day from day 7 to 6.

It seems as though the game stopped saving progress for him, long before he started the second save slot.

-He was the host, save was on slot #2. Public server with password.

-No splitscreen, I joined his server and it was just us two with no other players joining.

-We noticed it disappeared this evening (July 26) when we atempted to pick up where we left off. His first save file was still there, but it had rolled back an entire day.

-His encounters were missing.

-Both he and I disconnected and closed the game normally.

-No game crash.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, PosterxG1rl said:

It seems as though the game stopped saving progress for him, long before he started the second save slot.

Hmmm, this may be a crucial clue in solving this puzzle. The encounters are, I believe, a different issue.

Apologies for the lost data, but it's exactly why we have a beta.

Thanks for the info!

Share this comment

6 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Hmmm, this may be a crucial clue in solving this puzzle. The encounters are, I believe, a different issue.

Apologies for the lost data, but it's exactly why we have a beta.

Thanks for the info!

Thank you for looking into it. I also wanted to mention that I saved the last 14 minutes of our gameplay, which started halfway through day 19.

As soon as day 20 started, I see the save icon appear in the top right corner. Another save icon in the bottom right appeared after i crafted a helmet.

The start of day 21 also got the "saving" notification too. Towards the end of the video on day 21, another save icon appeared 4 in-game hours, but this time at the bottom right corner. I'm not sure what triggers the bottom right save icon sometimes, I'm guessing from crafting or inventory has changed maybe.

Please let me know if you need the video, or the other player's psn id/save file. I can grab those from him, or get him to upload the save on the forum.

Edit: Forgot to mention that all his gifts he received from both the missing save file and the other save affected still remained and were available in his collection. Those are the only things that seemed to save.

Edited by PosterxG1rl

Share this comment

Hi @PosterxG1rl

No need for additional files (thanks though!). I'm still investigating but your info pointed me in the right direction.

Your items indeed should be unaffected by this, they're tracked by a different system.

As for the save-indicators, yes that's somewhat confusing, we'll likely look into addressing that at one point. The one on the bottom right indicates the PS4 is physically writing to disk, whereas the one in the top right indicates the server is processing the world data for saving, which is probably less relevant to know.

Share this comment